ABS and Brake Light...

I have had a problem for a while now, my yellow ABS, red BRAKE, and green TRAC OFF indicator lights are on all the time. The ABS brakes work, I tested them on snow/ice, regular brakes work fine too. I have no idea what the TRAC OFF (Traction Off) means.

I took this in to the Dodge dealer 2 times for this, the first time they said the lights were not on when they looked at it so they did nothing. At this time, they were on and off intermittently. Then they came on again, so I took it in again and the tech notes said "No initial communication with the ABS module - disconnected harness, reconnected and lights went out. Test according to manual and found no faults". So again, nothing was done. To me that indicates a computer problem.

Then they lights came on AGAIN, and have stayed on for a week straight. Also during this week, every now and again, when we start the car, the speedomoter, fuel guage, and temp guage go to full max then back to normal position - like a computer is screwy.

Well, yesterday the car would not start, all we got was a click, click, click, click and all the indicators "freaked out" going to max and back, each time we tried to start it. So I had it towed to the local Dodge dealer, a different one than the first 2 times I took it in. They said it was an internal short in the battery, so they replaced the battery (2x what I could have paid at Wal-Mart, btw) and I got the car and the lights were out, everything seemed fine.

Well, today the lights all came back on again, and they are still on. Again, I have full brakes and ABS is working. Any clues? This is going back Tuesday AM, to the original Dodge dealer that I first took it to the first 2 times for this issue, because I already paid my Ext Warranty deductible there for this problem and they are going to fix it without me paying another deductible, or I'll be very ticked!

Taking cars to Dodge dealers are VERY expensive and then they can't fix the problems right the FIRST time, you always have to take the car back 2-3 times before they get it right - why is that? If I did my job like that I would not have a job!

I'd like to know what the heck the problem could be or is...

-Tom Rogers

Reply to
Tom Rogers

I put the scantool on the computer connection that is IN the car, put there are no codes on it. Where do I connect to the ABS module? How many computer modules are on the car total?

Also, since the last tech to check it out said there was no communication with the ABS module until he removed the harness and re-connected, wouldn't that indicate an ABS module problem? Is fo, why don't they change it out and test it?

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Rogers

When ever you have an ABS problem the traction control will also be effeected. Traction control is designed to stop a wheel (s) from spinning by apllying brake pressure to the wheel (s)

I was just getting ready to say the battery because that is a typical compaint when a battery goes bad.

Find out what code is stored and what code is active on the Anti lock brake module. you will have to get this from the dealer/technican and let me know. what kind of service contract do you have, MAX care or Added care?

Intermittent problems are hard to diagnois sometimes, but now that the problem is occuring and wont go away take it back to the dealer

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I have no idea what your scan tool will read, most will only pull codes from the engine controller, If you are not familiar with this system have it fixed by someone that is.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower