Adding a horn to my beat up old van

I have a 1992 Dodge B150 van. It's a beat up piece of junk that I use on weekends to haul band equipment. The horn doesn't work and I have needed to beep at other drivers on occasion. How difficult is it to add a new horn to this vehicle? I don't plan to try to hook it up to the horn beeper in the steering wheel, maybe just add a button somewhere to make it beep. Can a novice do something like this? Would I need to somehow connect it to the crusty fuse panel in the glove box?

Thanks for any info....

Mike

Reply to
Mike

If it is the horn itself that is not working, you can unplug it and remove the old horn and install a new horn. That is easier then putting in a new system and wiring up to a seperate switch!

Reply to
David

I have a feeling it's not the horn itself. I think it's the wiring between the steering wheel and the horn. If I hit the horn in just the right spot, it will honk for a split second. So I'm thinking it's the honker, not the horn.

Thanks again for the advice....

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I had one do that once, I got a new center assembly (where the horn button is of course) at a junkyard for $5.

Two screws and 10 minutes work, it worked fine as long as I had it.

Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

of course) at a junkyard

Mike - can you tell me how easy or difficult it would be to add a button to honk the horn? There's no way I could do the fix you did.

Thanks....

MIke

Reply to
Mike

of course) at a junkyard

DEAD simple, after you locate the wire. All you need to do is put that wire on one terminal of a pushbutton switch and ground the other one.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce