Alarm Won't Disengage!!

06 Dodge Charger RT

So I return from a trip out of town, approach my car sitting in the airport parking garge and I see that the key fob unlock button is not working. I'm thinking that the battery in the key fob was drained while it was in my travel bag...button maybe was depressed for a long period of time

So I walk up to the car and use the key to unlock and open the door. The alarm goes off. I try using the key in the ignition, turn it to every option available....no effect. Can't start the car as it has disabled itself.

Ok so I call the wife and ask her to bring down a spare key fob. That one doesn't work either. Wonderful.

So while I wait for the dealership to open (car is udner warrantee) anybody have any idea on if/how this can be dealt with?

Again, the ignition key has no effect in shutting off the alarm and neither key fob works.

Thanks Greg

Reply to
Bob

I'm thinking that someone tried to get in while you were gone. I tried a Wal-Mart $1.59 key (don't do this) and nearly did the same thing on my Dakota. The dealership is the only one that can unlock it, according to the dealer I talked to. That is supposed to be a $Free thing but won't swear on it. Let us know what the end result is. I have this same system but was only provided one key fob :-(

Reply to
Abby.Normal

"Abby.Normal" wrote in news:4649acc8$0$3199$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Yeah I thought the same thing. Checked for any signs of a break in. None.

While not yet officially diagnosed the dealer feels what happened is that the car's battery died. The car then put itself into defensive mode.

Crazy thing is this:

1) No warning or other sign that the battery was getting low. It just failed. 2) There is no way to disarm the alarm system. The key in the ignition won't do it. Key fob won't either. 3) Even if you recharge the battery the car's computer has to be reset/reprogrammed so that it is taken out of 'defensive mode'.

This strikes me as truly a bran dead way of doing things. I love the car but stuff like this happening to an 06 does not give me a warm and fuzzy about 3-4 years down the road.

I rented a Chrysler PT about 2 years ago in the dead of a New England winter and the first night on the road all the internal lights went out and stayed out!

Chrysler really needs to get its electrical act together. I will post again oce I get final diagnosis back from the dealer.

Greg

Reply to
Bob

On vehicles with Sentry Key Immobilizer System, turning the ignition switch to the On position using a valid SKIS key will passively disarm Vehicle Theft Security System. Active disarming of the VTSS occurs when the vehicle is unlocked by depressing the "Unlock" button of the RKE transmitter. Once the alarm has been activated, either disarming method will also deactivate the alarm. The only way to disarm VTSS is to use the RKE transmitter, or to place a valid Sentry Key Immobilizer Module key in the ignition and turn it to RUN. . If the battery in the RKE transmitter fails, you'll be able to open the door with the key, which will then set off the alarm, but placing the SKIM key in the ignition and turning it will then disarm the alarm. Since your alarm did not turn off I would think that you may have a problem with the Skim module. The dealer will pull any codes from the vehicle when they get it. Find out what codes were stored. This vehicle does NOT have key cyl switches on them to disarm the alarm as the older vehicles did.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

"maxpower" wrote in news:hrGdnZOSorM8hdfbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I was told today that the battery did not fail. But that the security controller did. They are replacing the unit and say they have to recode the keys.

Reply to
Bob

I kinda figured that.

Glenn