bernsax

No bloody way, particularly on a 2.7 Mopar. I don't care WHAT brand of oil, or other lubricant you are talking about.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

It isn't a matter of how long the oil will "last", it's a matter of how much crap builds up in the oil. 25000 miles of spinning a motor in a soup full of crap is bad, no matter how good the oil.

I wouldn't push *any* oil past 7500 miles, even full synthetic...

Reply to
daytripper

Amsoil is basically advertizing hype. The BRAND of what you put in matters very little. It is the SPECIFICATIONS that are important. Most people only think in terms of viscosity, but that is not the most important thing, the spec is. The 2.7 requires oils with large amounts of high shear additive. There are very few oils with this spec. Many are "Euro formula" because many European engines use metal timing gears and chains. Use what the mfg recommends. There is a new Mobil line designed for this engine type.

Reply to
Tony D.

I ran Amsoil 0w30 in my Dakota from 70k miles up until 167k miles when I sold the truck. Truck burned a quart of oil every 3k miles when I switched over to the synth... after a while it burned a quart every 5k. I changed the oil about every 20k (once/yr) and changed the filter 2x/yr. When I sold the truck, it was still burning a quart every 5k with 167k on the odometer. Either that oil was pretty good, or it was a testament to how good Chrysler's 318 V8 engine is. I was running that 0w30 in West Texas heat (over 100 degrees).

If you do run synth, don't run cheap synth. Use the good stuff, like Mobil

1, Amsoil, Royal Purple. They have the correct balance of additives to keep seals from shrinking or swelling. The bad thing about Amsoil is you can't get it just anywhere, so you have to keep a few extra quarts on hand in case you run a quart low on the engine, etc. Amsoil is very good stuff, but you'd think it was snake oil the way they have there sales scheme put together. I quit using it just because of that very reason.
Reply to
mrdancer

From personal experience I suggest you use Mobile 1 and not Amsoil. I have a Stratus 2.5L V6 with over 133000 miles on it and it uses less than half a quart of oil per change. I started using Mobile 1 at about

36000 miles and have changed the oil and filter every 10000. For me the purpose of using synthetic oil is not to save money on oil changes, but to save money on engines repairs by prolonging its life.
Reply to
Me