ATF type for 97 Caravan?

I'm getting ready to change the trans fluid in my 4-speed transmission, on a 97 Grand Caravan. BTW - I'm on my 4th trans... Anyway, the owners manual says to use ATF +2, the last time I changed it I used +3 (per the dealer where I bought the filter), and now I'm hearing I should use ATF +4... I still have a coupld of quarts of +3 left - can I mix +3 and +4? What should I be using? Also, if I drop the pan, then also flush the converter, roughly how much fluid do I need total? Thanks! Brian

Reply to
bkm

ATF +4 is backward compatible with ATF+3,ATF+2 and ATF+. Those fluids were the recommended fluids to use but now ATF+4 has taken its place. ATF+4 has better antiwear properties, improved rust/corrosion prevention, controls oxidation,eliminates deposits, controls friction, retains anti foaming properties and superior properties for low temp operation. You can mix it but why not use the best available out there?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

It has it all... Including a ridiculously high price tag... At least locally.

Ran me $29 a gallon, or $8-something a quart, and the dealership was (is?) the only place I could buy it. :(

Reply to
FeMaster

If you got it from the Dealer you got what you paid for. You can get ATF+4 ant all most any auto parts place under the Valvoline label for half the Dealer cost

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

This was about 3 years ago. There was none available at any of the auto stores I went to and called, and to this day, it is still not available, at least around here... Last trip I took to Minnesota, I bought about 9-quarts from Wal-Mart, which were on clearance. I can attest to the fact that locally, nobody but the dealership sells it... If I had a choice, I would rather NOT buy at the dealership, as the local dealership (the ONLY one in the area,) inflates prices beyond even what a normal dealership charges....

Reply to
FeMaster

"FeMaster" wrote

Try asking the manager to order some. They may not even know that it exists, or something.

Reply to
Morgans