Beat-up Dodge Van question

So I've got this very beat-up 1991 Dodge B150 van named Julio. I use it to haul my band's gear (2 weekends a month). Other than that it just sits in my driveway. It's got over 228,000 miles on it, but the odometer stopped working a year or so ago. I was changing a front tire on it (driver's side) and I left it jacked up overnight. When I went to put the tire back on it the next day there was a big puddle of transmission fluid under it, about 1/3 of the way back (i.e. not right under the engine). This van has not been known to leak trans fluid (or much of any other fluid if you can believe it). Should I be concerned? Is there some sort of gasket or seal in the area of the leak that might need to be replaced? Or should I just avoid leaving it jacked up in the front overnight?

Thanks!

Mike

P.S. The van is named Julio after the dude I bought it from.

Reply to
Mike

I would guess the dipstick tube is leaking or pan gasket.. Tilting it to one side would let the fluid run to the side

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

I would guess the tail piece seal needs replacement. Pull the drive shaft off, pull out the old seal, and tap in a new one. Shouldn't cost more than a few $$. AutoZone may have it. This seal is at the end of the transmission where the drive shaft plugs in.

Reply to
Abby Normal