Brake controller installation on Grand Caravan

Do you know where I can find the diagram showing the brake switch. I have to install a brake controller and it must be connected to the cold side of the switch , since I dont want to poke the wire for nothing having the right wire color would help a lot.Thanks in advance

Reply to
Homer

The more info you can give the more info you will get back. Start with the year of the vehicle and why you are replacing the controller.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

maxpower a =E9crit :

Hello Glen,

I think that my Frenchglish wasn't good enough to express what I was trying to say ;-)

My Grand Caravan sxt is a 2006. Canadian model equipped with the towing package.

The brake controler that I am installing is for my Recreational Vehicul. Its made by Tekonsha model is voyager.. Its equipped with 4 wires , 1 for the Batt, 1 ground, 1 is the brake line, the other must be connected to the cold side of the brake switch.

Thanks for your help !!

Reply to
Homer

maxpower a écrit :

Hello Glen,

I think that my Frenchglish wasn't good enough to express what I was trying to say ;-)

My Grand Caravan sxt is a 2006. Canadian model equipped with the towing package.

The brake controler that I am installing is for my Recreational Vehicul. Its made by Tekonsha model is voyager.. Its equipped with 4 wires , 1 for the Batt, 1 ground, 1 is the brake line, the other must be connected to the cold side of the brake switch.

Thanks for your help !!

I would contact the manufacturer of the controller.

Reply to
maxpower

I'm not sure about the caravan, but when I put one in our Isuzu Trooper, there is a button-like thing that sits on top of the brake pedal up under the dash. When you push down the brake pedal, it goes away from the switch, changing the position and making your brake lights come on. Once I found that, it was very easy to see which wire was coming out of it and tap it in right next to the switch.

The biggest challenge is figuring out where to mount it on these modern vehicles that are entirely plastic-covered on the inside. I managed to get ours in where the ash tray was...

Good luck!

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Wesley a =E9crit :

Wesley ,

I just looked under the dashboard....man o man...I could see something similar to the switch I am looking for but there is 5 gazillion wire connected to it ;-)

Reply to
Homer

In that case...hopefully someone else can help you out. :-)

Wesley

Wesley ,

I just looked under the dashboard....man o man...I could see something similar to the switch I am looking for but there is 5 gazillion wire connected to it ;-)

Reply to
Wesley

Wesley a =E9crit :

Apparently MAXPOWER is a Dodge tech, I hope he is going to help me ;-)

Reply to
Homer

If your GC has the factory tow option, you might be able to buy a wiring harness from Tekonsha. If so, you wouldn't have to tap into any wires, just plug it in and go. Give the customer service number in your instructions a call and see what they say. I have an '05 GC and I wired one up in mine. Unfortunately, I didn't have the tow package, so I had to find the correct wires. Tekonsha's web site was very helpful...

Good luck.

Reply to
nfisherman

nfisherman a =E9crit :

Since you have installed the controller, can you tell me which wire you tap in at the brake switch ??? Can you describe also the brake switch ? is it the white electrical "housing" located right beside the brake pedal , the wires plug on top of it ?? I'm pretty sure its the one but you are so far ahead of me that I am not afraid to ask ;-)

I've sent a request at Tekonsha also , but there is nothing like a guy who did it ;-))

Thanks a lot for your help=20

Richard

Reply to
Homer

On mine, the brake switch is just the left (driver's side) of the brake pedal arm. It's a white plastic device with the plug coming out of the side. There are six wires in the plug. I tapped into the white one with the brown stripe. It's the second wire from the back of the plug (going from the driver's seat).

I emailed Tekonsha and they told me which wire to connect to for my vehicle. Since you have a different model year and you have the factory trailer package, I suggest that you check with Tekonsha. They will answer your email. If they can't tell you, you should check with your Dodge dealer. You might need to connect to a different wire than I did.

Reply to
nfisherman

nfisherman a =E9crit :

I received a few hours ago the diagram of the brake switch location and the diagram of the connector and of course this is exactly what you told me to do. Its always good to have a the input of a person with the experience

Thanks a lot , I really appreciate your help

Reply to
Homer

Homer a =E9crit :

I found the switch but somewhere else !! Actually on the right side of the brake pedal lever maybe because I have the adjustable pedal ??, its a black connector going into a white receptacle containing 6 wire, Like you I will tap in the white/ tan wire as per your instruction and the diagram from a gentleman on a Dodge forum.

I have 2 size of tap splice connector 18/22 or 18/14 I think I will go with the last one since I do not want to CUT the stupid wire, ...geez that would be an horror to repair under there..

Reply to
Homer

Homer a =E9crit :

Job done, everything works like a charm , thanks for your help end support ;-))

Reply to
Homer