Caliber owners out there?

Looking at the Caliber as a replacement for my 8 year old Chevy S-10. I need a car that can carry a set of drums and possibly tow a motorcycle trailer (around 1000lbs). I'm also 6'1" so I'm wondering if there are any tall drivers out there that can give an opinion on interior room.

Anyone driving one that would care to share experiences?

Thanks

Dana

Reply to
Whiplash

Not an owner but it sure seems a whole lot smaller (towing capacity and carrying capacity) of a car than a S-10 PU. I'd consider a Trailblzer (or simillar sized vehicle)...my father in-law is in a band (Cajun so not huge speakers) and he transports all the speakers and amps for his band.

Reply to
Buhda

I own a Caliber and love it. However, it is a small car and not an SUV or truck. It has quite a bit of headroom for tall drivers. The rear seats as well as the passenger front seat fold down flat creating quite a bit of room. I have no idea how much room a set of drums takes so no help there.

It's max tow rating is 1000lbs. It's a small 4cyl economy car so not a speed demon. It drives very nicely, handles well and is a lot of fun. Mines pretty well loaded with every option. Hopefully after summer I can start using the moon/sun roof!

Reply to
miles

Hey thanks! What I found out with the S-10 is that I don't really need a truck. I need seats more often than the bed, and what I do haul around is light stuff. I've even squeezed the drums into my wife's Mitsubishi Eclipse, although I'd hate to have to do that again!

I think the Calibur wouild be a good fit as long as I could tow the bike with it and it has enough room for me. That little 4 banger might not do it, even though it's rated for 1000 pounds. My only alternative (meaning the only other car I like) is the Dodge Magnum and that's a whole step up in power, size, and cost.

Well, I guess it's time for a test drive. Thanks for the input!

Dana

miles wrote:

Reply to
Whiplash

Check back in here to let us know what you find out.

Whiplash wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Check out

Busta

From what I can see there is only a $1000 rebate on Magnums.

Reply to
miles

Caliber replaces the Neon. Sounds like what you want is a Magnum SXT with towing package. The tow bar is hidden and swings out for use. The bed will carry a lot more than a Caliber and people on the Dodge forum

6'5" and 300lb do not have to put the seat all the way back. Plus you have room in the back seat for real passengers. Lastly, you'll be hard pressed to even find a Caliber. It will go for top dollar and I don't even think they are allowing the dealers to take orders for them. Meanwhile, there are rebates (BIG) on leftover Magnums. As long as you don't want a Magnum RT or either AWD models, you could get an amazing deal on a Magnum.
Reply to
Tony D.

It's more of a safety issue. The exact same vehicle sold in the UK has a higher tow rating than in the USA. Manufactures aren't as afraid of liability issues in the UK. I assume thats because there are fewer lawyers and/or the courts have not held manufacture as liable in tow related accidents as has happened in the USA.

None the less, I would not want to tow higher amounts than the current US ratings. Too dangerous. Furthermore it is my understanding that the UK and much of Europe is well behind in towing technologies. I have been told that WD hitches are rare in the UK for instance. Also I've heard thatin-vehicle brake controllers are rare resulting in surge brakes being popular. Added all up, I think the US's more conservative ratings are a good thing for safety.

Slushboxes? You mean large SUV's? For towing they do their job well. In the UK larger trailers are pretty much unheard of. Small lightweight travel trailers are the norm there. High taxes on gas has alot to do with that I'm sure!

Reply to
miles

That's 2006s. Some areas have 2005s.

Reply to
Tony D.

Whats that got to do with anything? go to europe, see all the mini sized cars rated at 1000lb or more. I had a little car, with a 1.4 engine and it was rated at 2500lb tow capaicity. Of course, the brakes on it were bigger than those on my town and country (as standard) Friend of my fathers used to tow a 6-berth camper with a fiat punto, and they're not exactly huge.

US towing capacities are very conservative, maybe to encourage the sale of big vehicles to tow the stuff. A big factor seems to be this continual reliance on slushboxes.

Reply to
flobert

WD hitches? i've been out of the Uk for 3 years now, but when I was last there, removable hitches were rare - thats one weak point. and instead of the chain backups, you have a deadman cable.

As with anything though, its the quality of the driver, not the equipment that makes the difference.

No, slushboxes = automatic transmissions. nasty horrible slushy gearshifts - BLEUGH

Reply to
flobert

WD = Weight Distribution. My understanding is that such hitches are rare in the UK. Entire tongue weight is on the hitch.

Well thats true but having proper equipment in my view is mandatory no matter how good a driver someone is.

Depends on the transmission. Higher tow ratings will be found with automatics because of better low end torque. With a manual a very low end 1st gear solves that problem.

Reply to
miles

Hey thanks everyone. I'll def check back in here after a test drive. I appreciate all the feedback.

Busta wrote:

Reply to
Whiplash

I've actually been looking at the Magnums recently. I'm seeing used SXT's with under 20k miles on them for real cheap. Nice looking cars too. I'll definitely be test driving one of those as well. Thanks!

Dana

T> > Looking at the Caliber as a replacement for my 8 year old Chevy S-10. I

Reply to
Whiplash

I have bought a Caliber, but I am not very tall at 5'7". It rides good and is really fun to drive as well as I think it looks great. It has a towing capacity of 1500 lbs.

Reply to
RS