Can someone explain Dodge Service Dept's to me...

It is the general EGR system failure code. And yes I did try a new valve in one of the vehicles. And no, the pins on the selonoids are fine. It could possibly be bad FEMALE contacts in the selonoid plug - but to have both vehicles doing it?

I don't live in an area with a lot of corrosion (no salt on the roads, etc.) so general we don't see corrosion issues on electrical. But, as for ambient temp being below 40 - that one I don't know. I hadn't noticed. The fact that the computers are flashable, though, that's useful. I'll have to get one of them done and see if it makes a difference.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Ted. Does it happen in Temp below 40 degrees? do you notice that is only sets in the winter?

Reply to
maxpower

It is very random. It will go for months without doing it then do it several times in succession. The more common trigger appears to be crusing at around

55Mph for a long period of time - such as a half hour. Interestingly enough, if I cruise for the same period of time at 65Mph it usually -won't- do it. But, I've had it do it 10 minutes after starting the van, and just doing 30Mph city driving.

I can do the test procedure in the FSM all day long to each van and the EGR valve always checks out, whether the van is hot or cold.

Both vehicles behave the same way and both give the same error codes, and both have very low NoX emissions. We have state-run IM testing here and you can take a vehicle through the test center for free any time you want. Both seem to have done this with the same regularity in both summer and winter. But, the coldest it ever gets here during winter is about down to 28 degrees.

In other factoids, both engines have very different maintainence histories. The

95 was bathed in oil, serviced by the dealer. The 94 was bathed in dirt, and serviced by Clive with an assortment of kitchen implements. (I bought both vans used) The 94 seems to have been very happy with getting back on to a regular oil change regimen, and better maintainence. The 94 has about 145K on it, the 95 has about 120K on it.

I have an OTC Monitor 4000E with the engine computer connector and one of these days if I get ambitious I keep thinking I'll set it up to record events, and see if I can catch the thing doing it. One obstacle to doing that, though, is that now with the better weather, I'm riding the CB750 every day and haven't done much driving in the van.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

When i looked, that TSB only appllied to '95 models. Didn't see it for the '94, but I could have missed it.

The fact that it's intermittent could have something to do with when the PCM actually runs the EGR 'monitor'. It's under specific conditions, so it may run at one speed (load) and not another. It does run under light load, steady cruise conditions. The PCM compares short term fuel trim without EGR to STFT with EGR. If there isn't enough of a shift, the fault is set.

It could also be that they are right at the edge of failure. Sometimes they'll fail and sometimes they won't. Partially blocked EGR tubes and intake manifold passages could cause it.

Reply to
bllsht