Caravan All-Wheel Drive - Good? - Problems?

Just wondering how many folks like and dislike All-Wheel Drive... and why. Is reliablility or frequent repairs an issue? Also, are some model years better or worse than others? My 1996 Grand Caravan just flipped
over 223,000 miles and I'm looking at a 2001 GC on EBay with All-Wheel. Does anyone have an opinion?
--
HeadlessHorseman

my opinion = dont buy a car on ebay
message

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:36:52 +0000, HeadlessHorseman wrote:

Well, I have had older one (3 1992's); two were front wheel drive and the current one is AWD.
The AWD model drives like a truck, whereas the other two were more car-like in handling and ride. I don't have a problem with that at all. Driving stability is good, and obviously winter driving is not a deterrent. It handles rather well in the snow, although I did manage to spin it even after careful cornering. Then I replaced the tires.
You WILL have to have all four tires of the same size. Mixing tires will cause the thing to handle atrociously and will damage the transmission.
Look around...these things are a dime-a-dozen(well, not so mush the AWD, but they're out there...)
--
A young girl I know told me I drive like an old man

I told her, actually, I drive like Mario Andretti.
I've had 3 AWD Caravans. Presently I own an 02 and I love them. I tried the SUV deal for awhile and this is much better. I even off road mine a bit - I drive it on the beach on the Outer Banks. Never had any trouble with any (93, 99, 02). A bit higher ground clearance and it would beat any SUV. David
message