caravan. cannot remove spare tire

the winder mechanism appears to have spooled out all the cable. the cable is not corroded. the tire has not dropped to the ground but not enough that I can force the attachment that the cable slides through
so the wheel remains suspended under the vehicle (but loose - ie. will spin and can be pushed around a bit). I cannot see behind the rim so am not sure what what the tire is being held up by. any ideas?
campbeln wrote:

Try using a hydraulic jack to lift the tire and then manipulate the cable. You may have to lift the back of the vehicle also. jack stands! jack stands! jack stands!
if the tire is stuck at the top try kicking it to make it drop, if it has dropped some and wont go down all the way all you can do is try to go up and down with it to see if it free's itself, If not cut the cable
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

On my 2000 Caravan, the cable which raises and lowers the spare tire isn't stuck...I can lower it just fine, but the tire will only drop a couple of inches. It seems that the bracket, or something on the topside of the tire, is stuck on a thin cable of some sort that crosses the spare. I'm loathe to go up there with a wire cutters and start hacking...what's going on?