Caravan , noise on changing gear

Hi, is it normal for a 97 Dodge caravan 3.0 V6 with 3-speed trannie to make a ratchet/thump/crunch noise when going from park to reverse, neutral to drive, neutral to reverse? The noise stops as soon as it's
in gear.
It has caught up my attention recently.
I don't want any more major repairs. Air-Con rebuilt @ 45K, Head Gasket serviced @ 55K and many many minor repairs (all sorts of gasket and sensors blown at low mileage, ghost wiper, blown up radio, big corrosions at both sliding doors from inside). This Canadian built van sucks my money well.
Thanks ahead

"caravan" <jae_young snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
that dosn't sound to bad check the transmission fluid maybe get a flush it'll help a little bit, it's good to do every 60k miles.

It is normal for a 4 speed to make that ratchet noise. chances are that is the trans that you have.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:04:59 -0400, "maxpower"

Rachet noise, or more of a whir/purr, lasts about a second or so, right? If so, what is it that makes it do that - we had a 96 t+c with a bad tranny for a work vehicle, kinda paranoid about it happening to this 97.

flobert wrote:

From Daniel Stern's write-up: [http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html ]
It's the transmission fluid control solenoid valves opening and shutting rapidly to make the fluid go where it's supposed to go to shift the transmission. All the FWD/AWD 4 speed automatics make this sound with every upshift, every downshift, and every gear selection.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:27:05 -0400, Isaiah Beard

Whew - makes me feel a lot better, and not worry so much.
caravan wrote:

No. As you've already noted, it didn't USED to do this.
But make sure the fluid level is up where it's supposed to be, and that the fluid is a nice red color, before you do anything else.