Charging Light Came On???

My 97 Intrepid had its charging light come on about 3 minutes while I was going to work. (I guess its the charging light... it is a little battery icon)
I said, Oh sh*t. But then it went out. I was idling on the freeway for a while when it happened. Hasn't happened since. Something to worry about?

Check the battery terminals if dirty clean. Coasty
Less than 5 hours after that happened to me, the BAT light came back on again. Ten minutes after that, my alternator was dead and I was on the phone with AAA.
--
HeadlessHorseman