check a fuel pump

How does a DIYer check the fuel pump (or if its getting fuel) (yes tank of gas) on a 96 Caravan (3.6)? It was running fine, parked it for an hour, now it just cranks. Its got spark.
Checked the fuel pump fuse. Whats next?
Thanks, TP

If you suspect the pump remove the air cleaner at the throttle body, spray some kind of flammable solvent such as an induction cleaner into the throttle body with the blade open and see if it starts and dies,if so you know it isn't getting fuel. Then check battery and ground at the pump.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
maxpower wrote:

Thanks for the reply Glenn. I have sprayed the intake, yes it will fire up. I checked the connection at the fuel pump. (Only seen a ground strap on the fuel filter.) I don't have a wiring diagram to know which wire is ground. Is there a body harness connector I could check?
Happy New Year TP
Any chance of water in the fuel? Did this start happening after you filled it up? 7-11 gave me 1/4 tank of water once. Well, they didn't give it to me - I paid for it. They only paid for 1/2 the cost to get it all fixed but lost my business for the rest of my life for the other 1/2.

spray
you
Have someone turn the key on while you are back at the tank and see if you hear it hum/buzz. if it doesn't take and hit the bottom of the tank hard with your hand and see if it buzzes then, my bet.... it will and then start up
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
maxpower wrote:

Yes, I did that when I was checking the wire connections. No buzz. Oh well 176K, maybe the pump is tired. I wanted to check power to the unit. Any sensor connections I could double check?

you
start
If you have 12 volts for 3 seconds at the pump and a good ground and the pump wont turn on replace the pump.......Did you hit on the tank while someone turned the key on to see if it will kick on?
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
hey, try to short the fuel pump relay. :) you shoud hear ful pump kick in.
if you feel cocky release the fuel feed line and turn the key on and watch if you get fuel flows (this is dangerous and keep it away from altgernator, or starter or anythign with spark). if it does not crank for a second not more. if not you have a problem with pump.
The safest one is to short the 30-86 terminal of the pump relay (please confirm it.)
good luck