Chrome wheels & brake dust

I'm getting ready to put some nice American Racing chrome wheels on my '94 Caravan ES and I was wondering if I should switch to ceramic brake pads while I'm at it, although the current pads are still good.
I've been told that ceramic pads don't produce that dust that gets on your wheels.
1. Does the dust from regular brake pads actually harm chrome wheels, or is it just a nuisance?
2. Do ceramic pads in fact produce less dust and are thus preferable for protecting chrome wheels? TIA