clunking noise

Hi, I have a 97 dodge Intrepid and it just started making a noise. I noticed this a week ago when i was going 55 and had to come to a stop. when i stepped on the brakes the car made a clunk, clunk clunk noise. I only hear this when i brake usually when I am going over 40 only, but now recently the noise started when driving in town also and going to stop at a light. The car does not shake it only makes that noise. Does anyone have any clue as to what might be the problem here. I thought maybe it had to do with something in the front end but now I am thinking maybe brake shoes? not sure? I just had the ty rod replaced in February of 2005 and checked the brakes in July and the pads looked great. Blew the dust out and ran fine. Does anyone have any clue as to my mistery noise? thanks,

Reply to
dodge drive via CarKB.com

Assuming it isnt the brakes, Start with looking under the vehicle and seeing if the cradle mount bushing have dropped, or if the frame is hanging, if it looks ok, then check the lower control arm bushing for signs of movement, that will also cause a noise when stopping or taking off, especially on turns.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
dodge drive via CarKB.com

I had the same clunking noise in my 96 Intrepid it was the right side stabilizer link.

Reply to
den630

Reply to
dodge drive via CarKB.com