Component Speakers in door/dash

I recently bought some component speakers to replace the door 6x9s and dash 5-1/4 speakers in my 2002 Caravan. I'm having troubles figuring out how to run new speaker wire to the door speakers. I see there's a
wire harness where the door meets the door frame (for removing the door, I guess?). I could probably either use or replace the speaker wire from the speaker to the harness, but I'm not sure how to get the wire from the crossover to the harness on the door frame side.
Has anyone done this or did you come up with another solution? I'm also looking for tips on where and how to mount the crossover. Looking under the dash, I'll probably just strap it to something on each side, but again, if you came up with a good spot / solution, I'd appreciate any tips.
Thanks!

If you are going to replace the speakers (remove them) why not just use the wires that are already there once you take the old speakers out?
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

That would be ideal of course, but because these are component speakers, it complicates things a bit. Instead of speaker wire going directly from the deck to the speakers, the wire will first go to the component crossover, where it is then split and separate wires go to the tweeter in the dash and the 6" woofer in the door.
Michael

Maybe I just don't understand.. but if you take a speaker out (disconnect the terminals) and install a speaker in the same place, then reconnect the terminals from the old speaker what difference does it make?
Glenn
are you running bigger gauge wire for the components? due to a amp upgard then
u will need to piggybac wires the best you can in the boot to the bbot are remove the factory wires and replace with your new ones, if not then use the factory wires on both side of the door and jamb like were it goes thru th ekick panel t the door jamb boots and hook up your crossover there but the factory only tells you which one is positive in th e factory manual so you will need to get tahat figured out or you will be wasting your time i hope you got a new head unit> you do have to be careful since the pci bus does interface with the factory radio...it's a little white connector on the bac of the radio that only has two wires in it and one may be missing hope this helps you in some way
maxpower wrote:

The wire isn't being upgraded due to a bigger gauge, I just thought it would be better to run new wire since in the Caravan, the dash speakers are running in parallel with the door speakers. The new components would definitely not support this type of wiring, not to mention they need to be directly wired to the crossover.
I do have an after market deck in - the pci bus you mention, would I only need to worry about that with a factory deck? I'm not sure what it is.
Michael

Component speakers are different than your typical full range speakers in that they are separated into two speakers (tweeter and woofer) each getting specific frequencies from the crossover. The deck speaker wires go to the crossover first. Here's a diagram that shows a typical wiring for component configuration:
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/reviews/20041109/14-Receiver-XO-spkrs.jpg
The black rectangle represents the crossover.
Whereas your typical two or three way full range speakers have the tweeter as part of the woofer speaker. In this case, the wires from the deck go straight to the speaker.
Michael

4ax.com:

Your best bet is to replace the 6x9 with the woofer and just add the tweeter to the door close to ear level. You can either leave the dash speaker intact (bad option) or simply disconnect it (much better option).
Ditch the original 6x9 and connect the crossover to the wire that used to be connected to the 6x9. (just lay the crossover in the bottom of the door). Be sure to hook plus to plus and minus to minus.
Mount the tweeter on the door close to ear level and run the wire down behind the door panel to the crossover, which is already sitting in the bottom of the door.
Unless you want to reroute the wire from the crossover to the tweeter back through the door into the passenger compartment and up to the dash (big PITA), the tweeter in the door is the way to go.
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I had originally set out to put the tweeter in the dash location to prevent any permanent scaring of the interior of the van (in case I choose to take the speakers with me when it's time for a new vehicle).
Also, I was figuring I'd place the crossover under the dash which would have easy access to the tweeter, but then it makes it challenging to get wire to the woofer, unless I can find the factory speaker wire heading to the door, and just connect it to the crossover instead.
One thing I'm not sure of is how the factory dash / door speakers are wired in parallel. Do they split right at the factory harness? Is it spliced somewhere along the way? I guess if it was spliced anywhere after the crossover placement, it wouldn't really matter since it wouldn't be connecting to anything any way. The tweeters are pre-wired and would just connect directly to the crossover.
Hmmm... more to think about. Thanks for your time.
Michael