COMPUTER READER

I am looking at buying a new dodge caravan and it looks as though if I want to do any work on this engine at all I will need either software and a
laptop or a stand alone reader to get the info out of the onboard computer. Can anyone recommend which is the best way to go and a good brand name to buy. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Bill
I bought one of these and paid more: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CanOBD2-CodeReader-Equus-Model-1003c_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQihZ003QQitemZ130107233294QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
It will do all you need it to do including resetting the computer, pre-inspection emissions diagnostics, and is USB software upgradeable.

Thanks for the reply Abby Normal. You would think there would be a whole lot more info out there but these things seem to be just coming online I guess
CHEERS

They have been out there for a while but are now only becoming affordable. You can go to any Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and use theirs for free. The problem is that you have to go there and sometimes your vehicle may not be able to get there to use the scanner.

Bill Falconer wrote:

Depending on options, you may not need this. For example the Magnum/300/Charger can "blink" out the codes on the plain jane models and display the codes on cars with the EVIC info center. To change many running conditions, these readers are useless because you need the dealer Starscan unit to actually change things.
the computer required to "change" running conditions on any vehicle with OBDII will cost big bucks. These readers are exactly that - "readers" and are intended for the home user to obtain codes for troubleshooting assistance and nothing more. The one I bought will reset the computer and that's about it. My vehicles will not display the codes without one that I know of. If you need to only read the codes this is perfect. If you want to tweak the running conditions of the vehicle - you may need to mortgage your house to pay for that one.

Abby Normal is right from what little I have been finding out lately. I was just on this site and apparently this scan tool will do everything ACCORDING to http://www.autoenginuity.com/products.html the site literature but that ability seems to come at a pretty steep premium. FOr now I will be happy to read the codes and go from there but at some point down the road I'm hoping that the technology will get a lot cheaper and then I will want the full meal deal. Thanks again for the info Abby.N
Bill

Bill Falconer wrote:

??? Right about what? He said the exact thing I did.
He is right about me needing a code reader to get anything out of the newer dodge caravans. My 96 caravan will blink out some of the basic codes right now. But as the vehicles get newer they seem to give up less and less information other than some very basic codes, hence the need for a code reader for the newer vehicles. In my first thread I had mentioned that I was interested in getting a code reader BECAUSE I was upgrading to a newer van and could see that if I wished to continue doing my own maintenance I would need a reader!