dodge avenger stopping/ gas pedal sticking

HELP. My 98 dodge avenger has been running fine. had trans rebuilt in Jan 06. On my way home today, I was at a stop sign and it just cut off. The gas pedal was stuck. I restarted the car, push hard on the pedal and
drove about 2 miles almost home. As i turned left it cut off again. Pedal stuck. Harder to start, like it is not getting gas - finally got the 1/2 mile to my driveway. Turned off the car. Waited a few minutes, restarted put in reverse and then drive started to cut off and gas peal was very hard to push..Any advice. I have read that it could be the cable?? would that cause it to cut off. Need advice. Need to aviod hopefully a big repair bill. Single mom>

Mom, if you suspect the cable you need to have someone look at it. More then likely you have another problem causing this thing to cut off on you. But don't drive it until you have it checked out. If you are familiar with the linkage, pop the hood and see if the throttle linkage is moving freely.
Sorry not much help here. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
thanks, I think it is something else. When a car cuts off, does it make the pedal almost lock down? I don't remember that happening in the past. I tried it a little bit ago. It did the same thing. I seem to smell alot of exhuast. Don't know about linkage. thank you for your reply. I guess I need to get it hooked up to that computer thing to get it checked. Hopefully it won't be too bad.
What about a cat. convertor??

Not a cat either. have someone that is familiar with this vehicle perform a diagnostic test on it.
Glenn
Tahnks, I will have it checked tomorrow. Just frustrated that it is Sunday and my son has practice in the morning.
Jennifer

If the check engine lite is flashing you are experiencing a cylinder misfire. It could be in need of a tune up or possibly a crank sensor or distributor problem. Cleaning the throttle body has nothing to do with this problem. But you should get it looked at now. You say it isn't getting any gas....how do you even know that??? get it looked at
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
Thanks, I am going to have it checked tomorrow. Not getting gas - I probably am not using the right words. When I depress the gas pedal it doesn't seem to respond right away. In your opinion - does it sound like something expensive?

Both of those questions cant be answered until you know what is wrong
Thanks for your help.
Jennifer
Glenn, do you think it would be ok to drive my car to a shop? It is about 2 to3 miles from here.
Glenn, do you think it would be ok to drive my car to a shop? It is about 2 to3 miles from here.

If the car is running ok I'm sure you can. But once again, I don't know what the problem is.
spark plugs and wires, fuel filter replaced. Seems to run fine. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for your help.
Jennifer

What was the cost?
Parts were 87.00 and labor was 120.00 Work was done by a mechanic that has a used car lot. The dealership costs would have been - parts 132.00 and labor 175.00 - 210.00.
Do you think the price was ok? The dealership said that labor was alot because the top of the motor has to come off to get to the plugs? Mechanic I used said it was a little time consuming, but not too bad.
He also said that there was a little bit of oil or moisture (not sure which) in the distributer that might cause some trouble down the road. Hopefully it will be far down the road.

Also, do you think it is ok to try to drive it to a shop. It is about 3 miles away?