Dodge Magnum transmission leaking/weeping

Seeking advice/comments on tranny leakage:
My Dodge Magnum RT has already been to the dealer once for a transmission fluid leak. The dealer installed a gasket kit for the
"front transmission extension," or something like that, and it stopped the leak.
In the course of having the leak fixed, I heard from several people that the Magnum/300 transmissions are famous for "weeping" tranny fluid. (The dealer agreed I had an actual "leak.") But the tranny has now started to drip small amounts of fluid -- more like what I would call weeping, I suppose.
I know this tranny is the Mercedes 5-speed automatic. It holds 17 quarts of fluid, and has NO dipstick, so I have no way to check the fluid level myself. (The dipstick is a machanic's "tool" and costs about $35.)
How can I safely distinguish between leaking and weeping? IMHO, no fluid loss -- no matter how small -- is acceptable. Sooner or later I'll be running on low fluid. (The dealer says there is no warning light, either. He said to drive it till it slips, then bring it in.)
Can "weeping" ever be "normal," or is there more to it?
I have driven cars which dripped oil, like from a valve cover gasket, for many thousands of miles with no problem. But I had a way to check the oil level and make sure it stayed full. Now I'm losing a couple drops of tranny fluid every time I park the car. It takes a lot of drops to equal 17 quarts of fluid, but there is no way to check.
I'm going back to the dealer, if for no other reason than to establish a record that the tranny is still losing fluid. But I'm interested in hearing any comments regarding the so-called "weeping" condition.
Dan
I would keep taking back to the dealer. So they cant blame you if the tranny craps out.Do you know where the fluid is dripping from.Since its under warranty keep going to the dealer maybe they can fix it.Theres got to be a way for you to check the fluid level in the tranny.
sounds a lot like the Audis too......only way to check the level is to hook up a diagnostic tool at the shop to the bottom of the pan......and that's where you fill them too is through the bottom of the pan.
need to find out where its leaking though. might be coming from the breather hole due to being over full too.

On Mon, 9 May 2005 13:55:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ding Dang) wrote:

There is a way to check the fluid. The dealer has a "tool" which bears an uncanny resemblance to a dipstick. The "tool" costs about $35, and is listed at most places as a Mercedes dealer-only tool. The car doesn't come with a dipstick for the tranny.
There is no way for me to tell where it's leaking, even when I put it up on a lift. But there is always a fresh drop of fluid on the ground everywhere I park.
Dan
no stains? no trails? sounds like they need to put in some ultraviolet dye
(Ding Dang)

I would find that intolerable. A new car should not weep, drip or leak anything. Park it in front of the dealer with a sign, "This Car Drips Oil all the Time". Yours may do the same. You will get a reaction quickly I would think. rob wrote:

ultraviolet dye

the
from.Since its

it.Theres got

The
it
ground
On 11 May 2005 13:05:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There is no issue with the dealer. I'm sure they will be glad to repair it (again) when I have time to take it in. I agree that a new car shouldn't leak, or weep, at all. I was just looking for input regarding how common this might be, since my buddies at the transmission repair place told me every Mercedes 5-speed they ever saw was leaking tiny amounts of fluid.
The Magnum RT (HEMI) is mated with a Mercedes 5-speed auto that is commom to all the full-sized Mercedes cars. I was really surprised that there is no warning light for low transmission fluid level, especially since there is no dipstick on this transmission.
Apparently the Magnums with the 6-cyl. engine have a different transmission -- probably the Chrysler 4-speed auto. Is this correct?