dodge mini van trans don't shift

I took my friend's 1991 Dodge min van for a drive this morning. Drove a couple miles and it shifted into high etc. but didn't seem to want to shift down into passing gear etc. Then I turned around and drove back and
it wouldnt' shift up into high gear!. It has 220,000 miles on it with a V6 in it.
It has trans oil in it and all but I was thinking it was in need of a rebuild. But he was hoping it would be an external sensor or computer issue???
Anyone been through this on these vans??
thanks
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:38:32 -0500, Hayman wrote:

LOL! Who HASN'T!!! Almost every one I have seen over 130,000 has a rebuilt tranny in it.
At 200,000, if you can't get a bargain trnny somewhere, time for retirement. (although I did have one given to me; 229,000, rebuilt tranny, ran excellent!)
THis van, realistically, is worth $4-700, depending on what it has (PW PDL Infinity, etc). Draining and filling the tranny and changing the screen certainly can't hurt it at this point. After that, if you can't get a tranny for $200 installed, Bye Bye.
Or, did I just answer an April Fool's joke?
After more checking I discovered it was going into "limp mode". When the trans sees a problem it goes into limp mode and won't shift. However if you stop and cylcle the key it works again untill you come to a stop and try to go etc.
Could be many things I'm told and for miles on it the 2 tranny guys I talked to said its long due for an overhaul.
The van is actually in very good condition. An older fellow drives it and takes good care of it. He must not have pushed it much to get that kind of milage out of the trans. But still its a 14 year old caravan with 200,000 miles on it!
You could take it to a dealership or a reputable transmission shop and have the codes read on it, since it's going into limp it will have stored codes, my guess would be gear ratio error.