Dodge Shadow ES Transmission Looses All Power Yet The Engine Is Still On

1993 Dodge Shadow ES (3.0L V6) My Car Has An Issue Where, When You Start It Up From A Cold Start (Cold Start To Me Means Like In The Morning Or You Haven't Used Your Car In A Day Or Two) .. I Can Drive Nornally For 10 Minutes Before The Car Seems To Go Into Idle, Without Me Even Doing Anything. The Engine Remains On But I Have No Power Going To The Wheels. My Only Option Is To Turn The Car Off (Via Key Ignition) And Watch About Two Minutes. When I Restart The Shadow, I Have About A Good 20 Seconds Of Giving It Gas To Get The Car Moving ... But Within 20 Seconds, Power Is Lost Again (The Egine Is Still On, Giving It Last Revs The Engine But Does Absolutely Nothing - It Should Br Driving, LOL.

I Took It To A Shop And They Replaced The Serpentine Belt, Which Was Loose So The Belt Wasn't Doing Anything Except Hanging There. The Car Was Great For Nearly A Week, No Issues But That All Changed When I (For The First Time After The Repair) Turned On The Air Conditioner. Everything Sounded Great Until The Light Turned Green And I Had No Power To The Wheels Again. Of Course, Turn The Car Off, Wait 2 Minutes, Then Starting My Car And Quickly Hitting The Gas So My Car Would Move Before The Power Would Stall Again.

It's At The Same Shop Now That Put The Serpentine Belt On The Car. I Was Told A Rebuilt Transmission Would Be Needed (After They Did Some Tests) ... The Cost Would Be $1700.00+ (+ For Any Extra Parts Need During Mounting The New Transmission).

A Buddy Of Mine Said It May Be The Air Conditioner Compressor? How Does That Effect The Performance Of A Vehicle (Like My Issue, Being In Drive, Stepping On The Gas, Hearing The Car Rev But Yet, No Power To Actually Move The Car)? Well, He Told Me To Get A Second Opinion, Which Would Be Great If I didn't Have To Pay To Have It Towed From Place To Place.

Since The Shadow Is A '93, I Assume At $1700-$2300 ... That I Would Be Better Off Getting A Used $2000.00 Car, Perhaps From A Flyer Or Small Car Dealership In My Area Here In Florida. Any Suggestions? Please!!! (By The Way, I Am Obviously Clueless When It Comes To Cars ... What Have I Missed If Anything And Should I Get That Second Opinion?

Thanks For Those Who Read My Babbling And Can Help. :)

-Tony

Reply to
DeadSurvivor

truckdriver

sounds like a transmission problem.

with a v-6, i'm guessing it's a 4-speed electronic overdrive. those transmissions have a lot of electrical issues which cause them to go into limp-in mode, in which the car has only 2nd gear.

in your case, however, it sounds like the transmission is pretty wore out. there's probably a lot of debris that settles into the bottom of the transmission pan after it's been setting for a while. after being driven a little ways, that debris gets caught up into the filter, basically causing the flow of fluid to be stopped. then your transmission can no longer opperate until it sets long enough for the filter to unclog.

servicing the transmission and putting a new filter in WILL NOT FIX ANYTHING!!!!!! contrary to misguided popular belief.

1700 sounds like an awful lot of money for that particular transmission. but if it's a reputable place........who am i to say....

new transmission vs. used car? it just depends on how much you trust your current car. $ 2000 isn't going to get you much. if anything, it'll get you another car with transmission problems.

Reply to
dsguy