Durango engine trouble

99 Durango 5.9L has started behaving really weird. It starts up more or less fine (have to crank it more than usual), and will idle fine. When I floor it
under load RPMs won't go over 2-3K, it starts coughing, and idles very roughly, then stalls (but sometimes will recover to smooth idle). I hooked up ODB scantool, and all sensors seem to be in working order. Whenever it starts stalling oxy sensor shows lean mix, and ignition advance fluctuates wildly between 10-25 degrees. No error codes. I even reset PCM by disconnecting battery - no joy.
I'm thinking ignition trouble... had all wires, distributor cap and coil replaced recently with Accel hi-perf components... could it have something to do with this???
Any suggestions welcome!!! Peter

less
it
Lean mixture, coughing, long crank time.... Check fuel pressure.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

less
it
Lean mixture, coughing, long crank time.... Check fuel pressure.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech hmmm double post?
check the fuel for air bubbles there should be none
Peter wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:05:39 -0400, tim bur wrote:

LOL! Yeah. How would you suggest a person go about "checking for air bubbles"?
Linux Registered User #327951
very simple take a line connected to the fuel rail and place the other end in a clear large container then run the vehicle if u get bubbles after a few minutes the pump is shot. still laughing buthead
Dan C wrote:

You guys were all wrong ;)
It was the coil
No air bubbles in fuel as far as I can tell ;)) Fuel pump is fine, too.
Swapped back OEM coil, and it runs as new. I also measured primary resistance on both coils, about 22Ohms on both... dunno how can I measure secondary winding. My idle is just a tad rough now - which was the reason why I 'upgraded' to Accel in the first place.
Now, I wonder how on earth can faulty coil account for smooth idle at first, then spluttering/missing during acceleration, and finally settle down to very rough idle? My only guess would be cross-induction caused by higher voltage... there actually is TSB out for 99 Durango covering ignition wires cross-induction. When I swapped back the original coil voltage went down and cross-induction stoppped. If so, why did it run just fine with Accel for several months???
Peter

idles
something
first,
wires
and
A temperature sensitive connection (inside or outside) of the coil could cause this. There could be a problem with the Accel coils internal connections or one of it's external connections could have been corroded or loose. If it was an external connection, your swapping it with the origional would have cleaned that up and if it is internal, the coil is defective. When you increase RPM's of the engine, you increase the current flow which will heat up an improper or corroded connection and cause it to lose some or all of its ability to conduct and the coil output voltage will drop considerably if not fail completely and will stay this way until they cool down again.