electrical problem.

can anybody give me some instructions on how can I check to see if horn on my "1997 Dodge Caravan 3.3" is shorted out, also if i was to work-open the face of the steering wheel would the instalation of the air-bag get loosed?

Reply to
snohman

every time i press the horn the fuse pops from the PD, I checked to see if it was the "relay" but it was not , next thing i did was pulled the wires from the horn and checkedv to see if the fuse still poped but it did not so i guess it is a shorted horn. can any body give me some info as to how can i go about checking to see where horn is shorted-out? thankyou...

Reply to
snohman

It's shorted out inside the horn, as you just described. Replace the horn.

Reply to
Dan C

DUDE!! if you unhook the horn from the circuit and the fuse doesn't blow you have located the problem, replace the horn!!! Didn't I reply to this on another group??

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Yep, you have replied to this guy many times. He is the one who blamed his son on law because he changed the battery. Even though the OP was to lazy, and did not replace it himself. Know everything that goes wrong with the van is the Son-in-laws fault. By the way DUDE! they horn is in the front of the van, Not the steering wheel! That's the switch in the steering wheel. Why don't you get the son-in-law to fix it! At least he is competant enough to fix the battery, and you weren't.

Reply to
harts

hey Dan c. i am sorry if i insulted you with my simple horn ? I JUST AM NOT THAT ADVANCE WHEN IT COMES TO AUTO-TROUBLESHOOTING.When i get a nwe horn i must connect it to the wiring that comes out of the steering wheel, my ? really was how to check if wire coming from steering wheel is shorted,i know i must use an amp.meter. I went under the van and found the horn wires and i try,ed to trace the wires back ,not to the steering wheel, but to where it is hooked up at.

Reply to
snohman

Let's review:

- if you don't press the horn button, the fuse doesn't blow.

- the horn fuse blows when you press the horn button.

- after you disconnected the wire at the horn and replaced the fuse, pressing the horn button doesn't blow the fuse.

Based on that, the problem is at the horn, not the wire from steering wheel horn button to the horn.

No need to trace the wiring looking for a short. Definitely need to replace the friggin' horn...

Reply to
daytripper

Why do you think you insulted me? I answered your question, and very nicely and politely, I believe. It would seem that you are not very "advance" in logical thinking or writing though.

Will you try to think a little? You disconnected the wires from the horn itself, and the fuse no longer blows. Why are you concerned with wires, at this point? You proved that the problem is inside the horn. Also, for future reference, "wires" don't generally short themselves, the devices the wires hook to may have an internal short (as in this case).

Actually you would use an "ohmmeter" to find a short.

Why you did that is beyond me, or any logical thinking process. Wake up, man.

Reply to
Dan C