engine knocking ?

I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid that has had quite a few problems. It has the 2.7l engine. We finally got it running again and now it makes a sqeeling noise we figured out it lost oil to the top since it had been open. We reoiled and it ran fine for about 15 mins. Then sqeeling started again but soon stopped. And it?s also knocking. Everyone seems to be leaning to replacing the 2.7 here but I have already put more money in it than what it?s worth. My main question is what is making it lose lubrication.

Reply to
staceanne

CONGRATULATIONS! You have just joined the group of roughly 170,000 owners of a shiny, but expensive, lawn ornament known as the infamous "Intrepid 2.7."

There are hundreds of websites that address this issue. To sum it up, the Chrysler (Mercedes-developed) 2.7L. v-6 is a piece of JUNK! And it is not repairable.

Do not attemp to rebuild it, have it rebuilt, or replaced with a new or used engine. You have three options. After 25 years mechanical experience, including working on many 2.7L (acting solely on customers' requests, and not by choice) , I have concluded that these are the best options for any Chrysler with the

2.7L. 1. sell the car (running or not) IMMEDIATELY and eat your loss; 2. drop a 3.2L or 3.5L Chrysler where the 2.7L used to live. or 3. Let the car sit there. Whatever you choose, if you do any of the above 3, you will get the desired results. If you still decide to replace or rebuild the 2.7L (always amazes me why anyone would do this, probably for the same reason as to why they decided to buy the car in the first place without doing any prior research); it will fail again, guaranteed!

If you decide on option 2, 3.2L engines are readily available with low miles (from accident vehicles) for around $500; any reputable mechanic should be able to drop it in for around $500-$750. Then you will have a car that will be as reliable as the next (non-2.7L equipped) car on the road, with proper maintance.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I don't have better news for your situation.

Here's a website, a good start among the hundreds available, that will shed some light on this widespread problem, one that Daimler-Chrysler still denies.

John

Reply to
John C via CarKB.com

Reply to
John C via CarKB.com

rightttttttttt uh huh sure

Reply to
rob

Probably sludge built up inside the engine. That engine runs HOT and it is NECESSARY to change oil according to the SEVERE service schedule, and highly recommended to use full synthetic oil, which is much more resistant to sludging.

If that engine has a lot of miles on it and the oil was only changed every 5000 miles, and you live where it gets hot, you could have sludge in the engine. The Chrysler 2.7L is by no means the worst engine in this regard, either. Engines from Volkswagen/Audi and the popular V6 and 4-cylinder engines in the Toyota Camry and the Toyota minivan are as bad. The Toyotas are probably worse.

Reply to
Norman Y

yep.....seen them sludge up due to that....and running crappy 7-11 oil

Reply to
rob

So how come mine has over 101k miles, no major work, and still runs great?

Larry Behold Beware Believe

2.7." |
Reply to
Larry Crites

Because you maintain it properly

Reply to
maxpower

My car has only 84,000 miles on it and it was also taken care of properly. But it has not ran since Oct. of last year because of the million other things that have went wrong with it. And i am from MS where it is hot so is it possible that maybe this all occurred while it was in repair and maybe it is worth rebuilding? See I still owe one more year plus all the money it has cost me in the past year. I hate to say it was all for nothing.

Reply to
staceanne