engine oil type

I recently bought a 1999 chrysler intrepid and i want to change the engine oil. However i dont know what kind of oil was used on this car. I heard alot about the oil sludge problem and the synthetic oil as a good mean of
solution. I also heard that directly switching to synrhetic oil can be harsh and has to be gradual.I also heard that engine flush can be harmful for the car. so do u have any ideas??

"eatarek2" <abdelaziz snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
eatarek2 wrote:

It depends on the engine. There ARE sludge problems, mostly from people using the wrong oil. Some engine families require "high shear" characteristics. You should buy based on the manual's recommeded viscosity AND SAE service rating.

And if the engine is not spit-polish clean internally introducing some MMO - about 1/4 quart to start, then 1/2 quart can help to reduce/remove sludge buildup. Change the oil twice as often as normal when using the MMO to get the crap out slowly.
You guys may say engine flush is a waste, but in some circumstances, used properly, it can be very effective.
***
what engine is in it?