engine warning light

The "check engine" warning light on my 02 Dodge Caravan (3.3 liter engine) comes on and stays on all the time. It happened before and the dealer said you just have to tighten the gas cap. That worked then, but it's not working any more. What to do?

Reply to
Andrew Murray

You have to start with finding out what the code is. If it is a leak detection fault code you will need to have what they call a smoke machine hooked up to locate the leak

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I was able to diagnos the code myself on my 96 caravan 3.3L by doing the following.

Turn the key to all the way on position [but not starting the vehicle] then back to the off position. Do this twice then turn the key to the All The Way ON Position [but not starting the vehicle] and leave it there. BE SUCH AND HAVE A PEN AND PAD READY. The check engine light would give a series flashes then pause......repeat for a few more times. Write down the number of times it flash in between each pause.

Example: flash flash -PAUSE- flash flash flash flash -PAUSE- flash flash flash -STOP. These flash CODE are 2-4-3. When you obtain this code, post it and I would tell you what the code mean/what area is defective. It works for the 97 Caravan but I dont know if the 02 does the same; It dont cost anything, and its worth a try.

BE SURE TO POST THE CODES SO I CAN GET BACK TO YOU. POST A MESSAGE EVEN IF IT DOES NOT WORK.

Reply to
pchotspot