extended warranty

greetings, i recently purchased an '06 stratus and would like to purchase an extended warranty. are they the same price at all dodge dealers or should i shop around. also, is there any dealer tricks i should watch for? finally, what types of things would void my warranty? thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:55:47 -0400, cj wrote:

In general, they are a high markup item for the dealer, very much like the fabric and finish protection packages. But considering the high costs of replacing the hi-tech electronic, mechanical, and electro/mechanical systems in today's cars, and how long you plan to keep the vehicle, it may make financial sense. You are required to have the vehicle serviced at the factory recommended service intervals to maintain coverage. Chrysler factory warranties are offered at varying levels of protection and deductibles. Be sure what you think will be covered actually is. If it's not a genuine Chrysler issued warranty, be very careful. Several of the private firms have just gone bankrupt, leaving the consumers without a warranty. In addition, you may have to pay for covered repair up front, then request reimbursement from the warranty company. They may also limit where you can take your vehicle. Some examples of third party warranty company problems:: National Warranty Insurance Co. Offering Smart Choice extended warranties through 5,000 car dealers nationwide, the company had about a million active contracts when it went under. Platinum Warranty Corp ceased operations September 30 after being sued by the state of Ohio last year and filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in May. A Cleveland bankruptcy court converted the Chapter 11 filing to Chapter 7 on October 12. National Warranty Insurance Group, NWIG/NWIC is a Plan Administrator/Insurance Company which administered claims for a number of warranty companies. NWIG/NWIC was declared insolvent on August 1,

2003

That being said, you can purchase genuine Chrysler warranties, or third party warranties from your local dealer. In addition, there are a few Dodge-Chrysler dealers in the country that actively market web sales of genuine Chrysler extended warranties at discounted prices. Here are some links:

Champion Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge

IL Online warranty site:

Topor Dodge

MA Online warranty site:
Wittrock Motors Carroll IA
warranty site:
Siemans Chrysler Products Bridgman MI
warranty site:
I also am shopping for an extended warranty, and found these links by googling for Chrysler Service Contracts, then searching the web for the selling dealerships retail web sites.

Before I purchase, I plan to get online quotes from the above, then compare at my local dealer. Before purchasing online, I plan to further search the various consumer protection sites (BBB, etc) for any problems that others may have had with these dealerships selling online warranties. Before you purchase from any of the listed dealers, verify the information for accuracy and completeness.

Reply to
QX