extended warranty - prices? / should I?

When I bought my 2001 van new I extended the warranty (at that time it was 3 /36,000) I did 5 yr 50,000 maxicare with a $50 deductable. It was $800 from the dealership for that 5/50 bumper to bumper plan and it seems to cover a lot of stuff here.

I used the plan so far for tie rods and a few other front end things, heater went out, power door broke, needed new battery etc, besides the deductables my only real costs were an alignment and brake pads, so I sure can't complain much.

Well I am 4 years into this contract and just hit

46,000 miles, I still have about 12 months and about 4,000 miles left (whichever comes first) on the 5/50,000 plan... I took the van in to get my rear heater checked out (blowing cold only) and thought i should check into what it will cost to extend it some more here...

The service dept of this dealer i liked, they seem fast and reliable and cover most everything each time i bring the car in, but the sales manager who i sat down to talk to about this warranty extension (to me anyways) seemed to be a huge jerk... ok hes a jerk but i just wanted to get my info on extending the warranty...

He says to stay with a $50 deductable, based on my current info 46,000 miles 4 yrs into the warranty I bought for $800 when I bought the van, to extend me with that same coverage (maxicare $50 deduct, for upto 100,000 miles would run me $3450.

That just seemed crazy to me (the amount) has anyone else sat down before their extended service warranty was expired and had that sort of a shock at renewal prices or was this guy trying to totally rob me (got the feeling he was a bigtime jerko)....

Called another dealer (blind call) was gonna get their price over phone for my details and info yet haven't got a call back from them yet...

Bill

Reply to
FTLOSM

I would imagine the cost would be quite a bit higher to cover the second 50K miles compared to the 1st. But, I don't know if $3,500 is reasonable or not.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Sounds to me like they are trying to sell you a used contract with max care coverage, get another opinion

Reply to
maxpower

That still sounds high, I got a 2003 Durango 4X4 fully loaded with a max care "0" deductible and paid 2400.00 7 yrs 100k

Reply to
maxpower

Got the reply from the dealer i bought the car from (who is about 3 hours away now from me), based on my contract number, to extend it to the full 7 years (3.5 more years from todays date) upto 75,000 miles (or whichever comes first that 7 yr mark or the 75,000 miles) it would be $2180, he said the term can't go past 7 years from my in service date of 08/01 so still about 3.5 years, but a 100,000 contract (again to stay the same as what I have) would be about $2800 which is STILL alot less than $3450 .

We dont drive it that much so we may just go with the 75,000 thing for $2180ish that to me is reasonable....one big problem with a few minors over the next 3 years would pay for it most likely, as that original $800 plan paid for itself

2x over already for me.

you a used contract with max

Reply to
FTLOSM

Service warranty contracts are just a piece of mind thing. The odds are that you'll loose money on them. Still, I always buy them However, in the

30 years I've been buying cars, the service warranty/contract only paid for itself twice. One time was on a 1978 Ford LTD. The 3/36 extended warranty (the base was 12 months 12,00 miles back then) was $181. At 26K miles I needed the tranny rebuilt and that was $300. So that one paid for itself. Went through 3-4 cars without any real problems until I got to a 1987 Grand Caravan. It went through two or three Air Conditioning compressors. Needless to say, the extended warranty paid for itself there too. Been through 4-5 or more cars since then (me, wife and kids) and so far the warranty has not been needed for repairs to nearly to the level of what they cost to get. The closest was a 1997 Neon Sport...which had a head gasket failure. The $700 or so for that was still less than the warranty contract that paid for it....but it was close

But if you think about it...it makes sense. The warranty companies would loose money if they paid out more then they took in. So the odds are

*statistically* against you from a $$$ standpoint. BUT, it's like insurance. Nice when something REALLY big hits!
Reply to
James C. Reeves