Fried baterry/alternator question

I smelled a sulfar smell and pulled over to a garage...my battery was smoking and was ruin. plus the alternator was bad. My question......did a bad battery ruin the alternator, or did a
bad alternator ruin the battery?? Curious to know what caused what. It is a 1992 Caravan. I noticed the past two months when starting the car it would take slightly longer to start up..sign of a dying battery or a dying alternator? Also, I had some , but not much, whinning sound up front. I had alternator go before in other vehicles, but usually it sounds like a chattering squirrel .Anyways any insight appreciated with this aging van. Time to get a new one this summer. Murphy's Law. Things start to go just as one plans to buy another vehicle.
probably a short in your alternator , thus overcharging your battery and boiling it to death. my 114 amp model did that in my truck......at 16 volts to the battery at all times, went through regulators too. and it plays hell on your ignition ECU as well if you run it too long.

summer.