Front end clunk

'91 Dodge Voyager

Loud front end clunk while driving over speed bumps, pot holes, uneven surfaces, etc.

Any likely culprits?

Method(s) of isolating the source of the clunk?

Any information on the above topic would be much appreciated....Thanks! :-)

Reply to
propman

My '94 Caravan ES made a noise like you described at 140k miles, sounded exactly like it needed to have the original struts and strut mounts replaced, since it was overdue, which I did, and it didn't change anything. Ended up replacing the front stabilizer bar bushings, which are prone to going bad and causing that noise (at least on a '94, anyway. Those bushings turned into a nightmare to change because the bolts holding the brackets in place all wanted to snap off, which some did, others did while putting them back in. Got it all back together but not without getting a little creative with the welder.

Reply to
James Goforth

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (James Goforth) wrote in news:16146-44D1EC6F-36 @storefull-3277.bay.webtv.net:

Hi James......thanks for the reply! :-)

How did you determine that these were bad?

Ouch!! Don't sound like fun at all! :-)

(Note to self: Pick up a gallon of RustEze!)

Thanks again....much appreciated. :-)

Reply to
propman

I was told that these bushings (the outer ones) were known to go bad and cause the noise I was hearing, which made perfect sense; plus it was about the only thing it could be after replacing the struts and etc.

Reply to
James Goforth

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (James Goforth) wrote in news:19579-44DAC5B8-1395 @storefull-3273.bay.webtv.net:

Cheers......will check that out. Thanks for the info..........:-)

Reply to
propman