Fuel filter replacement interval for 1997 Stratus 2.5L V6

Dear newsgroup,
According to the owners manual, the fuel filter of my 1997 Chrysler Stratus 2.5L V6 (European ed.) should be replaced at a mileage of
60,000 miles (96,000 Km). I found several statements on the net saying that the fuel filter should last for the life-time of the car.
I do not have any particular fuel or engine problems but I was wondering if the fuel filter should be replaced as a matter of pre-emptive maintenance.
TIA

Who would be right, the owners manual or the net??/ use the owner manual,
The fuel filter is fairly large and can hold a lot of junk. The replacement interval is likely to be very conservative. If the fuel quality in your area is very good, you can probably go a long time with the original. How long is "a long time"? I bought a fuel filter for my '98 Stratus when it hit 100,000 miles, but I haven't installed it yet. It now has over 117,000 miles.
This has been the most trouble-free and lowest maintenance car I have ever owned.
YMMV Gyz

My '94 Intrepid has the original fuel filter and the car runs like a clock with a 160,000.
Bill '01 Intrepid RT '04 Intrepid Custom