Gas consumption on 2002 Grand Caravan?

I just purchased a used 2002 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L V6 (140,000KM).

And would like get some feedback as to how much kilometers this van can do on a full tank (mostly city driving). We filled up with 87 octane gas and we are at 500KM and the needle is at E and the fuel light is coming on...

Does this sound right? What can I do to get more out of this car?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Daniel.

Reply to
Dan

Thanks, and good point....

So far I have changed the oil (switching to synthetic next change), changed the air filter, replaced the spark plugs and changed the ATF. I'll monitor it for the next couple of weeks and see if it does better.

Dan.

Reply to
Dan

But you don't know how many gallon/liters you will take to refill so until you do you can't figure mileage.

My experience with the fuel gauges on Caravans is that they are very inaccurate (predictable but inaccurate) so check it out over a few tanks.

I think you should be able to get (allowing 7.5 liter reserve) 576 (city) to 720 (Highway) KM per tank.

With that many miles and not knowing what maintenance the vehicle has had you might be able to get better mileage with some tune up or maintenance work.

Ed

Reply to
EO

I have a 95 Caravan with a 3.0 litre with 260,000 km and I get 10 litres to the 100km, or about 30 miles to the gallon. It works like a charm.

Reply to
DonTraboulsee

"Dan" wrote in news:Ha0ng.29908$ snipped-for-privacy@fe74.usenetserver.com:

I have a 2002 ES with the 3.8L --- 70,000 miles. On the Hwy I can average 22.4 MPG with a/c on and cruise set to 74 MPH. At that rate I can get about 400 miles (~640 KM) per tank.

Combined city/hwy driving I do much worse.... about 19 MPG. And usually need to fill up after ~340 miles.

I leave the conversion to metric for you... I can do gallons to litres (3.78) and Miles to kilometers.... but not both at this early hour .

Also note, I have the computer to display the instantaneous, average mileage and remaining [estimated] miles. I usually run it down to 65 miles remaining, which is just prior to the reserve lamp coming on.

Reply to
Steph