Grand Caravan Intermittent A/C problem

My a/c when it works is blowing out very cold air (40*), but lately it has been working intermittently. The first time it went off was after driving it
all day with a/c on. Then after sitting for 24 hours, I started it and the ac works and it works for a week before it quits again. This time it is early in the morning with a cold engine. Let it sit again for almost a day and it works again. Works good for 5 to 6 days now it is off again. Worked this morning for about 20 minutes and now does not come on. The blower has always worked. Still cools very well when it works but what would cause this intermittent situation?
Thanks for all that respond.
Clark
Please email me at 4theclarks *AT* comcast *dot* net
One possibility is the clutch relay. You could try swapping it with another one in the relay/fuse block (next to the battery in the engine compartment) and see if the problem goes away. On our '96 GC, the black relays in there are all the same part number, so they're interchangeable.
A similar problem in my old Ford turned out to be the wide-open throttle relay (it cut off the compressor when the accelerator was floored) - very intermittent.
Good luck.