hard shift pattern when coasting

2002 Dodge GC Es model with 3.8L engine just about 74,000 miles. Not happy with transmision, seems to shift very rough, especially when coasting from ~ 30MPH and as it hits 28 MPH it shifts down (2nd?). You can see the tach move from ~1000 rpm to ~1200 rpm for a moment -- but you can hear and feel the shift.

Vehicle definately did not do this the first 50k miles of life. Tranny was pulled apart about 8k ago and they found a burnt torque converter and worn clutch - which were replaced.

My extended coverage is nearly done and I really need this fixed before then. Any pointers and where to direct them? Would the TCM throw any code is the shift doesn't feel right in this case?

Reply to
Steph

Hard downshifting was a problem with the early 1990's vans. Mine was fixed with a software update.

I would suggest them making sure that all of the software updates have been applied. In addition, I would hope that they put in the correct ATF+4 fluid when the repairs where done. A dealer should know better to use the correct fluid.

Hopefully, the replacement of the converter and worn clutch was done correctly as to not introduce new problems. Meaning, that any other damaged parts were replaced, and the unit was cleaned to remove any metal residue.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

My 2002 GC 3.3 had the same problem. Dealer said nothing is wrong. At 84,000 miles it lost reverse and would not shift to 1st when stopping the car (Dodge said it is over the 80,000 extended and they cannot help me). Make sure to keep record of everything and open a service call with Chrysler.

Reply to
Stam

Chrysler has had almost a decade to fix the design faultsof the electronic transmission in the Caravan. Looks like that haven't fixed them yet.

Reply to
jcr

Service Bulletin 21-004-05 describes this problem. The solution involves a new front pump, and updating the electronic firmware. My '02 had this done, and it fixed it. It was difficult to get the dealer to do the repair, but it was covered under the powertrain warranty. I didn't even pay for fluid.

Reply to
the fly