HELP: 97 Intrepid stub axel slop

Intrepid experts,
1997 Intrepid ES 3.5L, 78K miles
I have a clunk in the front end after backing up then going forward. I discovered that I can wiggle the right side inner CV joint with my hand. I
removed the drive axel. The can jiggle the right side stub axel with my hand.
Questions:
1. How much play is too much?
2. Can the bearing that supports the short stub axel be change out without dropping the transmission out of the car?
I took a short video showing the slop. See it it will play on your computers. mms://71.96.185.186/stub_axel.wmv
TIA for the help
Bill Very happy with the Intrepid (except for the clunking)