HELP: 97 Intrepid stub axel slop

Intrepid experts,

1997 Intrepid ES 3.5L, 78K miles

I have a clunk in the front end after backing up then going forward. I discovered that I can wiggle the right side inner CV joint with my hand. I removed the drive axel. The can jiggle the right side stub axel with my hand.

Questions:

  1. How much play is too much?

  1. Can the bearing that supports the short stub axel be change out without dropping the transmission out of the car?

I took a short video showing the slop. See it it will play on your computers. mms://71.96.185.186/stub_axel.wmv

TIA for the help

Bill Very happy with the Intrepid (except for the clunking)

Reply to
Bill