HELP ME! My car is accelarating on its own!

I dont know much about cars, but I have a 2000 Dodge Neon, its the fist car I have had to take care of on my own. The other day it started accelarating on its
own without me giving it gas, my father drove it hope and it smelled as if something were burning. Can anyone help me, I plan to take it to get it checked but I dont want who ever is working on my car trying to tell me a bunch of stuff is wrong and charging me too much.