HELP NEEDED ASAP - CV Chaft Problem '03 Intrepid ES

First of all it isnt to late to contact and stop this marriage if he is the groom!!

You will need to take a large prybar type screw driver and pop it out. Some of these can be very hard to get out especially with a high mileage vehicle.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Guys, I think I'm over my head. Our 2003 Dodge Intrepid ES had a bad inner CV Boot on the passenger side. I purchased a new CV Shaft from O'Rielly Auto parts.

I was told by one of the mechanics at my local Dodge dealer that this was a pretty straight forward job. I know him personally and trust his judgment. Too bad he's a few hours away this weekend at a wedding. Arg!

I disassembled the front wheel assembly. The old CV unit came out in pieces. The housing for the three bearings(?) that is attached directly to the transmission seems to have a Snap Ring or something holding it on. Upon examining the new unit I can see a channel for something like a snap ring to fit into. I just can't figure this one out.

HOW Do I get this off? Please tell me that I do not have to disassemble the transaxle etc.

PLEASE HELP GUYS! I need this car back together and working for Monday morning!

Thank You, Karl N.

Reply to
K. North

Glenn, I tried a try bar. No Love. I'm tempted to drill out the thin silver metal end cap to see if there is a C Clip on the other side. I'm afraid of getting metal shavings etc into the tranny fluid etc.

Please email me directly at NetAdmin AT Cox DOT n e t

THANK YOU!, Karl N.

Reply to
K. North

Glenn, The car only has 40k miles on it. I'm stumped.

-Karl netadmin AT cox DOT net

Reply to
K. North

Hi, Thanks for all of the feedback via email guys! I got the CV Shaft changed and back together. That was NOT a fun operation; however, the sense of acheivement was great afterwards!

Happily, Karl N.

Reply to
K. North

You asked for help and you got it and the shaft is out. why not post how you got the shaft out?

Glenn

Reply to
damnnickname

Glenn, Sorry, for not responding sooner. I've been back under the car changing struts, shocks, rotors (Went to drilled and slotted rotors), and pads. I ended up putting a 3/4" bit in my Makita and drilled a very shallow hole through the thin plate in the bottom of the aluminum housing for the u-joint looking things. (Yes I know NOT the worlds best technical description) I then managed to get the plate completely out and was able to use a gear type puller to exert enough 'clean' pressure to pop the housing off. A lot of people suggested just prying it off. I was worried about damaging seals etc so I used this method and it worked well.

Again, thanks fro all the info!

-Karl N.

Reply to
K. North