Help with 97 Neon not turning over!

I have a 97 neon, the check engine light went on last week and this morning it wouldn't turn over. Tried jumping it but it didn't work. The battery is newer so I know that isn't the problem. It sounds like
it will go but doesn't fully crank. Any ideas?
Thanks Matt
PS The car has been parked underground and only sat for the weekend...