Hemi Challenger

I didn't look at any of that info and didn't even think about it. I'll have to see if there are any consumption listings for the GM thing.

Reply to
WindsorFox

A turbine will burn damn near any fuel.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

That's good. Maybe we could feed them some of all that wasted used oil you change out? :oP

Reply to
WindsorFox

I would be willing to bet I spend less per year to change the oil/filter in my Explorer than you do with your Amsoil setup. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

You're right Chrysler had one in the 60s. Must be a huge conspiracy holding it back.

Reply to
Tony D.

About $68 in a year, but that's for 7.5 quarts and two filters. BUTT that's not my reference. How many quarts of used oil and filters do you toss out in a year compared to my one filter and 6 quarts? Not that I'm overly green, I just thought I'd point it out. Keep in mind that in the Mustang with it's limited mileage I do an oil analysis and change the full flow filter every year, not all the oil or the by-pass filter.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I do four oil changes at less than $10 each for a total of less than $40 per year. The truck has close to 200k miles, burns no oil, leaks no oil and runs great. I take my used oil to the landfill and that is as green as I am going to get on the matter. How much did you pay for the initial installation of that systems in parts and/or labor?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Where did I mention anything about a conspiracy?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Both of my cars get 4 changes a year. The oil goes to be recycled by SafetyKlean so it is not "discarded".

4 liters per change on the Poncho, and 6.5 on the Merc
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I don't know exactly what our landfill does with the oil but I'm sure it isn't discarded either. Personally, I think changing the oil every

3,000 miles is more important than using high dollar synthetics. Changing it regularly flushes out contaminants and for most users provides more than adequate protection. Maybe some vehicles that see extremely cold weather benefit from the better viscosity properties of Mobil One or other synthetics.

My truck doesn't burn (or leak) any noticeable amount of oil between changes and it has seen a variety of brands (i.e. whatever is on sale by the case at Costco) for as long as I have owned it. I don't even use Ford filters all the time. If anyone really wants to do their engine a favor then just change the oil regularly. Same goes for the automatic transmission which, IMO, is the most neglected component in most vehicles today. I change the fluid and filter in the Explorer every

30k-40k miles and am still running on the original transmission which, for an Explorer, is quite an accomplishment at nearly 200k miles on the odometer.
Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:7YCdnXeQjJiljJTanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I always go to Discount (now Advance Auto Parts) because they've got the oil recycle bins there. I dump the old, buy new plus filter, and that's it. Easy.

Agreed. However, I've had very good luck with Mobil-1 on the MPV, as it's got a high-revving V6 with poor top lubrication.

I have to believe it also helps in the summer here when it's consistently over 90 degrees during the day.

This has got to be the single most beneficial thing to do for any vehicle.

Good deal. Is it a 302? I do pretty much the same here. The summer heat certainly doesn't help, so it's always good to adhere to that kind of schedule.

Reply to
Joe

Land fill?? Are you supposed to do that?? Good lord what kind of oil and filter are you getting for less than $10? I have to admit I havn't looked but that seems awfully cheap even at Walmart prices. The remote oil filter kit was about $120, but totally worth it to me. Now I will admit that to save money on extended drains you have to drive a lot of miles. Imagine the difference if you drove enough that you had to change your oil every month. What I do for my habits and what I drive is over kill but I still only do one change a year. Also I would only spend about $55 if I only had 5 quarts and one filter.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I just buy it by the case. If I have a choice I'll choose Havoline more times than not but I just want to be SAE certified.

I don't think the hot weather is as big a concern mainly because most engines are engineered to run at 180-200 degrees anyway. In very cold weather at startup the engine will run for a period of time without proper lubrication especially with regular oil being extremely viscous at near zero temperatures. Most of an engine's wear occurs during this period. Synthetics have much better flow characteristics at low temperatures so the engine runs less time without oil at the bearings etc. just after startup.

Yes, it is. Especially, considering how well made today's engine are in most vehicles. With just the most basic of maintenance they can last

150k-200k miles or longer.

It is the 4.0L V-6. IMO, that is one durable and very good performing engine. To have as many miles as it does and not use any oil between changes it quite amazing to me. The oil level on the dipstick doesn't drop any between 3,000 miles oil changes.

Transmissions are where the hot climates have a big impact. Heat degrades transmission fluid very quickly. Down where you live I would change transmission fluid/filter every 25k miles.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

If you have a good filter there should be no need to flush any contaminates and a simple drain and refill isn't much of a flush. I did flush my Mustang when I changed to synthetic, or I should say real synthetic. The crap left behind by 5 years of Castrol GTX was truely astonishing.

Now riddle me this. If you insist on changing the motor oil at 3-4k miles, why are you comfortable with changing the ATF at 40k with no time limit? ATF is put through just as rigorous usage if not worse than the engine oil is and I've seen ATF described as "The most complex compound fluid used in any automotive application." Also consider the filtering (or general lack there of) done in an auto trans. Most I've seen consist of a felt like substance similar to a bypass filter but are way smaller in surface area and you always have a lot more metal filings in a trans than you do in an engine.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Our landfill has a large tank that the oil gets dumped in and they empty it regularly. It doesn't get mixed in with the rest of the garbage. They also take used batteries and other household liquids. For my needs the cheap oil/filter route has proven to work well. The nearly 200k trouble free miles on my Explorer is a testament that it works. There are sales about every weekend for oil filters of one brand or another (sometimes under $2 each). Buying oil by the case at discount stores is the best way to get the lowest price per quart. It isn't hard to make DIY oil changes for dirt cheap. Many local shops will do it for around $20.

I'm not saying your setup doesn't work. Frankly, I just don't know one way or the other. That $120 you spend to get the system in the car covers me for three years of oil changes and the amount you pay for the annual oil/filter change probably covers me for the year too. IMO, there are very few circumstances that require the type of system you have installed. It looks to be more of a novelty thing than a practical one. Like I said, I'm not saying you are crazy for using it as it probably works for your use. I also don't think it delivers any practical benefit, cost wise or from an engine longevity aspect, for the overwhelming majority of auto owners.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I'm referring to regular oil, not synthetics. Any oil picks up all sorts of chemical compounds that are detrimental to bearings, cylinder walls etc. I'm not convinced that any one filter can get rid of all of them over a year's time. Maybe they do. I think the most sure way of getting rid of them is to replace the oil altogether.

I don't change it on a scheduled regimen because it is very easy to look at transmission fluid to tell it is slightly burned. Once the fluid has reached this point it gets changed. If it doesn't have a burned look it is good to go for awhile longer. I had less than 10k miles on a transmission oil change when the engine overheated from a bad thermostat. It got changed because again because of the overheating of the engine affecting the transmission fluid slightly. Unlike engine oil the transmission fluid doesn't get residuals from the combustion process so unless it overheats it can stay stable for quite a while. Once it gets too hot though it needs to be replaced.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:W7GdnWFjSdgNpJTanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

All true, but my biggest worry is idling in rush hour with the a/c running full and it's 93 out. The temp gauge creeps up just a bit, so it's peace of mind to know that synth might help a bit more than dino. Could all be in my mind, but I'm willing to pay a few dollars extra for the synth just for that peace of mind.

The MPV is up past 107k now and it's running great. Transmission is still holding up very well also. BTW, the 3.0 is a SOHC. And it's RWD to boot. :)

Same with the MPV 3.0. Don't have to add oil in between changes. Now, the Mustang's a different story... ;)

I've been running around 30k between transmission fluid/filter changes with no problems. The MPV still shifts nice and crisp at WOT and it runs right up to red line. Around town is nice and mellow, just like it should be.

Reply to
Joe

Using synthetics can't hurt. It is better than regular oil.

I am amazed at just how well made the vehicles are today. Even the bottom of the barrel is yards above the best ones of 15-20 years ago.

The 302 was an engine from another era when tolerances were much sloppier. Mine is the same way. If I run it hard it would need up to a quart between changes and it was that way since it was new. This is another reason that the 5.0L engines need regular oil changes because the slop between the pistons and cylinder walls contaminate the oil more than a tighter engine.

Changing every 30k miles should be fine. Just keep the transmission fluid nice and pink.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:yIudnTtjVaCz75TanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The added cost is miniscule considering the peace of mind. Hell, we'd blow the entire savings for the year in one night out to the bar. ;)

And it's a '96. That platform was the same one used on the 929 back then if you recall.

Yeah, tell me about it! You know, it's amazing too - the difference between my '93 5.0 and the '96 MPV. The '96 is a nice, tight, high- revving SOHC, and the 5.0 is, well, a 5.0. ;)

Yes, that nice, cherry pink is good. ;)

Reply to
Joe

...are we still talking about transmission fluid?

Reply to
Michael Johnson