installing after market radio

I AM TRYING TO INSTALL A PIONEER RADIO IN MY 1996 DODGE CARAVAN BUT THE FACTORY SYSTEM HAS AN AMP SO WHEN I INSTALL THE RADIO I CAN'T HEAR THE SUBS. I JUST DO NOT KNOW HOW TO HOOK UP THE AMP WIRE TO THE NEW RADIO. EVERY OTHER WIRES ARE HOOKED ALREADY.

THANKS TECK2000

Reply to
TECK2000

what kind of power does the amp need? just a 12 volt source to turn it on?

Reply to
robs440

If it came with instructions it will explain to you what is needed, sometimes a jumper has to be cut. if you don't have installation instructions contact Pioneer

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

i've had several pioneer radios, and all of them have a dark blue wire that is a remote wire for turning on an amplifier, may be blue with white stripefrom your pioneer radio, they sell adapter plugs at wal-mart to fit your factory radio plugs, super easy to wire up. get the kit for for premium radio with factory amp...

hope this helps!

Reply to
smwheeler

Same problem with an LHS and a Voyager. On the LHS there was one massive ground wire. Needed to be connected.

On the Voyager (92) there was the massive grounding strap. This turned on the main amp. But the 'subs' in the doors weren't working. There is another, smaller black wire (on my Infinity system, you didn't mention, but since you are talking about subs I assume you are talking about the INfinity system) the black wire needed to be grounded to the frame of the radio. It comes with a female blade type connector; if you have one on the back of the Pioneer, connect it. A good stereo store will have a grounding clip (it may have come in the bag of parts with the Pioneer) that you can attach to the back of the Pioneer and provide a male blade connector, or buy one at the store. Or, cut the clip off, strip the wire and attach it to the ground wire of the radio.

BTW, I replaced the stock Infinity speakers with aftermarket Infinities, and put a set of MB Quarts in the dash...WOW! You have to fudge with the wiring in the hatch to get them to work properly; I think I used the two inboard connections, IIRC. Now, to get some decent 5x7's or 6x8's for the front door 'subs'...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You are going to have a problem installing an after market system to work with your factory amped speakers. You have 8 speakers to hook up. In your manual it says not to use amplified speakers cause it could damage the unit. And you have speakers that are sharing a common ground which is a no no. You can try hooking it up like I think you have it hooked up, the fronts and rears, it looks like your only hooking up 4 speakers at the factory connector but it's actually 8. Hook up the blue amp wire off your pioneer to the Dark Green with a Red stripe wire coming out of your dash. That will activate the relay for your amplified speakers. Try it out, if your getting bad crackling noises or humming when you trun it up disconnect it or you will fry the stereo. Your gonna need to replace the amplified speakers with regular ones and you might have to run some new wires.

Reply to
Tim