Key won't turn

Not sure what to do but I tried to start my car this morning and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition as if the key was the wrong key. I tried to turn the wheel thinking that may be the problem but the key still won't
turn at all in the ignition. It's as if the key had been changed. I don't know what's going on with it and it's a Dodge Caravan '03. Can you help me?
This occasionally happens on my '98. Take the key out, turn it over and try the other orientation. The keys/locks are supposed to be symmetric, but may not be exactly so.
peekaboo75 wrote:

I too had this same problem with a '99 Plymouth Voyager. It turned out that it was the whole key assembly unit and I had to have it replaced. Fortunately it was still under warranty. The serviceman said that he has seen this happen frequently!
Had the very same problem with my 98 Grand Caravan. Unfortuneately for me, it was out of warrenty and cost me over $500 to get repaired. They have to break the housing around the steering wheel to get the unit out. Good luck!
thegospelmagicman wrote:

peekaboo75 wrote:

So what's the problem? I start cars all the time without a key. Chisel off the ignition lock and start it with a screwdriver stuck into the switch body.
I suppose you're going to complain about not being able to get into the car with the key? Use a bent coat hangar or a Slim Jim. Professional tools, for me.
Hector