leaking front oil seal?

Hi,

Today my mechanic told me that my 91 caravan (3.0) will not pass inspection as it is leaking a large amount of oil and it is splattered all over the exhaust. He said that the front oil seal is leaking. This van runs nice, has

150,000 miles on it, but I am wondering what kind of job that would be to replace those seals. The van has a blue book of 250.00 so I have to really consider the $$$.. Any advice would surely be appreciated. Thanks,

RF

Reply to
rf

Advice?

Take it to the nearest junkyard, and see if you can get that 250 for it. If not, take whatever they offer you for it.

Reply to
Dan C

well if you havent had the timing belt and water pump replaced now would be a good time to do it and have those seals, cam and crank replaced at the same time. Call around for prices.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

What's the rest of the van like? If it's still solid and in good nick otherwize, do the belts, seals and waterpump. It'll cost you about 2 months payments on a new one. The blue book means NOTHING when you already own it. Can you buy a replacement for $250 plus the cost of repairs???

If you are at all handy it is an afternoon's job. Just be ABSOLUTELY SURE you get the pulley on the crank torqued down adequately when finished, as they DO have a tendancy to come off otherwize, turning the engine into scrap.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Reply to
truckdriver

Thanks for the opinions guys, I have to mull it over. I do like the van alot, (its been the most reliable car that Ive ever owned), but at this point, investing another 1000.00 could be throwing good money after bad.

RF

Reply to
rf

WHat you might do is wash the motor to get more of an idea as to where the leak is. It could just be a valve cover

Reply to
sqdancerLynn