Low airflow from ventilation system Caravan 97 ES

1997 Dodge Caravan ES

While driving my wife's Caravan the other day, I noticed that there is low volume as far as the airflow from the dash vents. We get nice cold air so the A/C compressor is OK, but just not much cool airflow. I have tried rotating the selector from one extreme to the other, and this seemed to increase the air volume slightly, yet nothing like the flow in my other car which will flat blast you out. Is there possibly a problem with a vacuum motor operated door that ducts the air from one place to another? Or is that all mechanical with cables controlling air doors. I'm thinking that despite the fan on high, the air is not coming out of the vents because of a mostly closed duct door.

Any suggestions as to where to look? I hate to take it to the dealer if I can take care of it myself.

Reply to
QX

You can try to calibrate the system but I dont think that would help.

Set Blower motor ON HIGH Set Mode position to Panel Open all A/C outlets Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped) Depress WASH and REAR WIPER button simultaneously for 5 Seconds (Until all LED's light)

All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds Calibration Test is running when REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT are alternately flashing. Cooldown test is running if A/C and RECIRC are alternately flashing. Acceptable results is REAR WIPER LED is the only LED flashing. Push Rear Wiper to exit. After all tests have passed, Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown can be run separately. COOLDOWN TEST ENTRY Set Blower motor ON HIGH Set Mode position to Panel Open all A/C outlets Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped) Depress WASH and A/C simultaneously for 5 Seconds Prior to start of test, If the evaporator is already cold, the system will fail test. To correct, operate system with A/C OFF and the blower motor ON high for three minutes prior to starting test.

RESULTS: a.. All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds b.. Cooldown Test is running when A/C and RECIRC. are alternately flashing. If A/C and RECIRC. are flashing simultaneously, Cooldown has failed.

Reply to
maxpower