Maintenance light "on" 1989 Caravan

Greetings!

Is there a way to re-set the maintenance light on the dash without code reader?

I tried removing the negative lead on the battery for 5min, but the light is still on :-(

Maybe I have to remove the positive lead as well? I was thought the computer would reset.

Thanks

Reply to
biggy1

It has to be set with a scanner

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for your quick response :-)

The lamp came on during my last trip so I drove into a Dodge dealer, wanted $45.00 to reset :-(

I was thinking of purchasing a cheap code reader maybe I could use it to reset it? or I could just remove the bulb or little piece black tape would do the trick :-)

THANKS AGAIN!

Reply to
biggy1

A cheap reader would not turn it off.

Reply to
maxpower

Some of the Caravans can be reset via a pushbutton, and don't need to be taken to the shop and hooked up to a scan tool. I can't say for sure about yours, as the wife has the service manual in the van with her at work... I'll have a look and get back to you...

Reply to
FeMaster

I've found my own answer to this without the book... Looks like you will need to either cover it up, or pay someone to reset it...

QUOTE: "If it is the "MAINT REQD" light then on the 1988 models it can be reset by removing the instrument cluster bezel and lens. Remove the fuel gauge and you will see a small hole. Pushing a small screwdriver into the hole will operate the reset switch on the EMR (Emission Maintenance Reminder) Module. 1989 and later models require resetting with the Diagnostic Readout tool (Better to just remove the bulb)."

Reply to
FeMaster

Well here is how I resolved my problem, it works but it may not be the best way?

First I removed the front instrument bezel and then a small white plastic lamp light guide. Then tried removed the "MAINT REQD" lamp, with little success. The lamp seem to be a twist lock socket, but it was very hard to remove and I didn't want to damage it, just in case I find away to reset it.

So I just applied a piece of black electrical tape over the instrument cluster bezel, as you suggested. It did the trick and save me $45.00 US Dodge dealer service charge. The money I saved can now go towards maintance (parts) of the pollution controls if anything needs to be replaced.

To bad the 1989 Caravan doesn't just have a reset button like the 1987 model :-(

Thanks "FeMaster" for your help!

Jay

Reply to
biggy1