Maxpower: A brake riddle for you! (My 92 GrVgr again!)

Remember my Hard Pedal problem?
I am a very easy driver. Brakes last me 50-60,000 miles or more, because I don't tromp the pedal.
It is snowing here today, has been for most of the day. As I left to get
gas for the snowblower, it started again, a heavy wet sloppy type of snow.
While turning into the gas station, something happened that hasn't happened in the 2 years I have owned this van. The ABS came on. Now I wasn't sure it was working, since the ABS warning light comes on once in a while, stays on for 50-100 miles and then goes out again for 5-600 miles. Well, it did come on; not as smooth as my LHS, but working nonetheless.
After that, the brake pedal went nice and soft; still has good braking power, but much less effort to actuate the pedal than before.
What's your take on this?
--
In the grand scheme fo things...
What difference does it make?

If the ABS (AMBER LITE) turns on while driving you will not have antilock brakes, you will just have a vehicle with standard braking system. If the (RED LITE) is on you have a hydraulic problem. Brakes could fail. Since you say Anti lock lite is on why not find out what fault code is stored in the ABS Controller?

Hmmm why keep plaing with the brake system untill someone gets into an accident?

My take......scan...find fault....and fix.
Glenn Beasley CHrysler Tech

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:58:53 -0500, maxpower wrote:

No red light, only amber once in a while.

So far, I haven't had a real problem. The brakes work OK, just hard.

Thanks.
--
In the grand scheme fo things...
What difference does it make?
It can be a couple of things. This occurred to me during the holidays. It may be that some slush or dirt got up near the VSS(velocity speed sensor) and the ECM was unable to get a reading from the little notches on your hub and the sensor due to dirt, water, salt. If you want, try giving it a good power wash around the wheel area and test it then. Hopefully, your light will go out. If this is not the problem, then it may be an electrical wire leading to the hub that is shortening. Just some ideas from experience.
Steve

It seems to go away when it's dry outside, sometimes when I drive through a puddle (and sometimes driving through a puddle CLEARS the light...) etc.
What you mentioned is exactly what I was thinking!