MDS system on Hemi

Is there any way to know if the MDS system on the Hemi is actually working? We have a 2005 Magnum RT and there have been trips where I get 24mpg, and others where I can't get better than 20mpg. Cruise control is used frequently on these highway trips.

Thanks Vic

2005 Magnum RT
Reply to
Victor DiMichina

I've got about 22,000 miles on mine, and AFAIK there is no way to tell whether it's working or not. There is some stuff in the hidden diagnostics that I have not been able to interpret yet, so it's possible that your answer lies there. The diagnostic stuff, as well as other info like oil pressure, can be displayed on the dot matrix display in the instrument cluster, if you know how to access it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the diags. What kind of mileage are you seeing out of the car?

Vic

2005 Magnum RT
Reply to
Victor DiMichina

About 18 or 19 around town. About 21 or 22 highway. Not great, but not bad for a 4,400 lb. wagon. YMMV

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I've been wondering the same thing. I also get varying gas mileage on road trips. Let's hope someone comes up with an answer. My overall mileages are about the same as Dan's, but I've only got about 2000 miles on mine.

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 351 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Jack Carter

This discussion about whether the MDS is working has got me thinking about some of the diagnostic data I can see on the center display in the instrument cluster. The more I think about it, the more I believe that there is way to tell if it's working by using some of the data that's available there.

There are some things in the diagnostics which are as plain as day, such as the display for oil pressure or throttle position. But then are other things which I have yet to interpret. I wonder if there is something there that will answer the question about whether MDS is working.

Try this. On the steering wheel, hold down the buttons with the musical note and the compass symbol. That's the two lower, inner buttons. Hold them down about 10 seconds until the center display in the cluster lights up with data. Now use the up arrow (top left button) to scroll through the 9 or 10 different screens of diagnostic stuff. To return to normal display, push the compass button.

Does it look to you like there is something there which might indicate whether MDS is working???? There is one screen with values for "right" and "left" which change while you are driving. Do you suppose this screen shows something related to MDS?? Now that you've got me thinking about this, I'll have to watch it while I'm driving. I have written the above information from memory, without actually being in the car, looking at the display.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

The right and left is referring to the gas tank levels that split the exhaust. Is there a value there for MDS on/off? Hmm...

Reply to
Scot