Need Ram help fast, Thanks!

My truck's AC compressor started smoking (and making noise). The belt broke off also. The compressor's wheel has frozen.
The truck is a 1996 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 360 (5.9l) V8
I would like to "bypass" the AC unit and use the belt for the non-AC version of my truck.
I would like to point out that the AC didn't work in this truck, so I don't mind losing the compressor (I can always fix it later).
I know I will probably have to remove the AC's flywheel. Anything else?
Is all this possible?
The truck is at a job site, so I will try the repair with limited tools, any tools that are a must have?
Please post reply here, and thanks a lot for your advice.
"jba" wrote: My truck's AC compressor started smoking (and making noise). The belt broke off also. The compressor's wheel has frozen. The truck is a 1996 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 360 (5.9l) V8 I would like to "bypass" the AC unit and use the belt for the non-AC version of my truck. I would like to point out that the AC didn't work in this truck, so I don't mind losing the compressor (I can always fix it later). I know I will probably have to remove the AC's flywheel. Anything else? Is all this possible? The truck is at a job site, so I will try the repair with limited tools, any tools that are a must have?"
Oh man no AC how can you stand it. Too hot in Louisiana for that. Go to the auto parts store and ask them for a belt for your truck. Tell them you want on for that model without AC. The should stock one. They should have a diagram somewhere under the hood for belt placement with and without AC.
Sarge
Take a piece of string and run the string the way the belt should run...minus the a/c of course...then subtract 1.5 inches to accomodate the tensioner...now take the string to Advance Auto Parts and tell them what happened..they'll look up the correct belt, to get the rib size, then measure the string for the proper length. Hope this helps! Sed

My girlfriend's car had a similar situation and I ordered a belt for a similar vehicle w/o air conditioning and it went on without a hitch.