Need to know how a Ignition Power Transistor

I have a 1994 Dodge Colt ES 1.8L and a need to know how the Ignition Power Transistor works and how to put a new one on please help me.

eeeeewww! A mitsu transistor. I don't think you can get those other then buying the whole distributor. At least that was the case back in 1994. MAybe available elsewere like a jobber. I remember alot of those going on the colts with 1.5L and you had to get the distributor. If you had the specs for the transistor, you could probably find one from an electronics outfit and retrofit. I think they only have one wire.
-