Neon air conditioner compressor questions

Anyone around these parts able to answer a few questions about the compressor I'd appreciate it.

Neon 2L SOHC 1996 Compressor # 10PA17C Removed old compressor due to bad clutch. Found the clutch bearing ate into the compressor housing now need to replace both. The Haynes book says to collect the oil out of the old compressor and measure the amount and put that same amount in any new compressor installed. I did the measurement and the amount is very small. Probably less than an ounce by eye. Probably closer to a half ounce. Does this seem correct? The compressor seems to turn quite freely and it seems to compress as I can feel considerable pressure against the finger when placed on the discharge side of the compressor. If this amount of oil is correct would I just pour the fresh oil right into either the discharge or suction side of the new compressor? Also this compressor calls for ND-OIL 8 but I think from reading around it might take PAG 46 ok. Anyone out there know? It must matter what type oil to put in it. The Haynes manual also says that since the lines have been off the compressor a new drier should be installed. Is this written in stone? Or is this just some sort of precautionary thing. Dem dare driers are sort of pricey. This whole job could get real pricey.

What sort of luck would I have getting a compressor at the junk yard and either using the one I get at the yard in its entirety or just using the end off the junk one to repair my own old compressor front end? The only bad part on mine is the front end and the clutch. Any experiences on that one? Thanks for any answers to the questions of an automotive lunk head.

Reply to
Gould